Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Tree Star?

Options
  • 23-11-2013 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Festive title to suit my mood :D but I was out the back tonight and I saw a star....this is a star I've been seeing for the past 15yrs or so, I dont really recall seeing it there all my life but I digress.

This 'star' flashes different colours....constantly, it's the only one to do so. It goes blue, green, red, white and so on..... it's mad. I used think that's the space station :rolleyes: but sure the space station is only visible for short times.

What is this star?? It's positioned to the right of the moon tonight if that makes a difference, not directly right but ye know a bit to the right and down a bit.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. It flashes so much because it never rises very high and its light has to pass through a lot of Earth's murky atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

It could have been Sirius (the brightest star in the night sky) or also possibly Procyon (the eighth brightest). Of the two, Procyon was the closest to the moon last night (both were to the right and below). The changing of colours is called scintillation. It's caused by refraction of the light from a star as it passes through our atmosphere.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mint Aero wrote: »
    What is this star?? It's positioned to the right of the moon tonight if that makes a difference, not directly right but ye know a bit to the right and down a bit.

Great tool is to download Stellarium (free and quick)
    This shows you a map of the sky from your location. Easy way to identify the sky at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

not this again....

Advertisement