Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Question

Options
  • 23-11-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

So, last year I sat the HPAT and the Leaving Cert without really being sure whether or not I wanted to study medicine. I decided in the end to study economics so I'm now in my first year of college but have come to the realisation that medicine is what I really wanted all along. (I think that I was so wary of becoming one of those people who go for medicine "because its medicine" that I talked myself out if it)

I've been thinking of reapplying through the CAO for medicine next year but I don't have the LC points, I only got 535. I dont think I could go through repeating the Leaving Cert and HPAT again but I've been considering repeating the HPAT alone. I got 195 last year with absolutely zero study for it.

Is it crazy to think I could bring my score up by 15 points? Should I just continue with my economics degree? Or is going back to school worth the risk?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I wouldn't consider it worthwhile to repeat the LC. Try bring up your HPAT, even though it's already pretty high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

It's totally possible to bring your hpat up another 20+ points, but it'd be a bit mental to bank on it. If you're not too bothered, sit the hpat again and keep your college course up, you might get it, you might not.

If you've decided you really want to change to Med, it's probably worth your while going back to school and repeating to be honest. If you got 535 and 195 on your first sit, you have a really good chance of getting in to med in one year. All you really need to do is try and get your leaving cert upto over 550 and try and get the same hpat again. That's it.

There are loads of people in med with 530ish so you don't need to repeat, you might have to repeat the hpat once more but you might narrowly miss it another couple of times before getting it. Getting your leaving cert up would relieve a lot of pressure, but obviously you probably don't want to go back to school. Depends how bad you want it.

Advertisement