Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van not starting when cold

Options
  • 21-11-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a 2002 Vivaro 1.9 Turbo Diesel

Recently the fan belt went, it in turn went into the Timing belt (which was changed less than 1000 miles might I add) and jammed, hence a few of the valves were wrecked.

Anyway got it fixed (spent a good bit of cash kitting out the van so was prepared to part with the money)

Anyway

Now when ever I try to start it cold it takes between 10 and 15 turns of the starter to get going. I then get a could of smoke out the back (diesel fumes, not oil fumes). I don't think it's the battery as it would start dying and wouldn't be able to turn the engine

I've checked the glow plugs and the units are fine.
    Once thing I did notice though was that there was a good bit of black oil on them when I took them out. I thought only the diesel was supposed to be in where the glow plugs are. After cleaning the plugs and placing them back in I started the Van the next morning at it did take 5 or 6 turns but did start a bit better.

Now once the engine warms up it's fine and I can turn it on and off no problem at all.
    It getting colder every day and I know one day the thing ain't gonna start.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I get this with my van over the years. Things I had success with are.

Your battery is good but is it a strong battery - what's the amp rating. A stronger battery will turn the starter faster. When it's cold the battery turns slower.

Clean battery and starter connections.

Leak off pipes and fuel lines need to be air tight and replace the fuel filter every 15000 miles.

Fault code scan looking for thing like the coolant temp sensor.

Try injector cleaner every 10k and to use only texaco, esso or topaz fuel. I find stp pre nct diesel twin pack to be good.

You could get a compression check done. Been tempted to do this a few times to see what the seals are like in the cylinder. Considering you had valve done it would be good to check that there sealing properly. Oil on your plugs wouldn't be a good sign either. Typical dry diesel black combustion crap is fine. Is it burning oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Did you electrically check the glow plugs or just a visual?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id still be going for glow plugs.

Is power decent. Also could be a injector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Sitec wrote: »
    Did you electrically check the glow plugs or just a visual?

Took em out
    Put positive on the end
    Neg on the side.
    Top glowed red on all 4 plugs

They are defo work

I could have a bad connection though I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

grahambo wrote: »
    Took em out
    Put positive on the end
    Neg on the side.
    Top glowed red on all 4 plugs

They are defo work

I could have a bad connection though I suppose

Is there power going to the glow plugs though
    ??

Also next time try pumping the hand primer on the fuel filter a few times and see does it start any easier it may be leaking diesel back to the tank over night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Air flow sensors get dickied in these too, one to watch out for, although 99% of time that would throw-up fault light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

The glow plugs might be working individually but definitely check the main feed. IMO if engine components were worn there wouldn't be such a massive difference between cold and warm starting. simple things first and go from there.

*Glow Plugs

*Glow Plug Wiring

*Glow Plug Relay/ECU

*Sensors

A diagnostic check will tell you a lot and the above is not necessarily in that order and I don't know much about Opels.

Advertisement