Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering in another country???

Options
  • 21-11-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

If I want to claim Jobseekers here in Ireland does it matter if I register in another country? strange question I know.
    Basically I'm looking for work abroad as an English teacher. My girlfriend lives abroad and the plan is to move to her but I'm not going to make the big move without a job lined up.
    One school told me that I need to be registered in that country (which makes sense) but the problem is they could only offer me 2 hrs per week.
    To be taken seriously it looks like I need to register there.
    I'm not leaving until I find a full time job so even if I am registered there I'll still be living in Ireland until I find something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If, for instance, you wanted to get a National Insurance number in the UK you would have to produce proof of your address in the UK. Don't know about other European countries but rather imagine it would be the same. Other posters may know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Darsh123

Thanks for the reply, getting proof of address is no problem because my girlfriend lives there but do you know if actually registering there has any effect on me here??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If by register you really mean getting the equivalent of a PPS or National Insurance type number in the country you want to move to and assuming that you would have a right to reside there, then you are faced with the issue of how you could legally produce valid evidence that you live there. In the UK and here the type of proof of address required would be utility bills, driving licence, bank statements etc., i.e., genuine proof of your actual residency in the country.

Simply registering as looking for jobs in the other country does not throw up any difficulties for your Jobseekers payment here but registering as being resident in another country would do so. Your Jobseekers payment is based on you being resident here.

Why not apply for jobs there and, in the meantime, check out the situation that might occur should you get a job? Some countries used to issue temporary numbers to give an employer to tide you over the first weeks of employment while full application is processed, assuming you have right of residence and to work in the country concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Darsh123

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes when I say registering I need a tax number basically. To prove it all I need is a signature from my girlfriend and the contract on her rented house as my carer I suppose.
    I will be resident here, I just feel that if I get my tax number over there it will make getting a job easier. But I don't want to jeopardise my chances of jobseeker's allowance here.
    I have applied for jobs there, even did an interview when I went over for a few days but the problem is it wasn't for a full time job.

Advertisement