Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling an Irish reg in UK

Options
  • 21-11-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

So I've got this car with me, had it here for a few years while I was in uni. I've got a job out of uni and I don't really have any need for it anymore. Can't really afford it either.

It's a 04 3 Door Megane. 1.6, with 105,000 on the clock. Some slight body scuffs, nothing too bad.

I'm not expecting to get loads for it, but I'd rather not take it back on the ferry to sell in Ireland. Anyone got any idea if I can sell an Irish reg in the UK? Or how much it costs to change the plates on it?

I'm based in Glasgow, work and live in the city, so really have no need!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you'd have to register it in the UK first. to do that, it needs an MOT (using the VIN), insurance cert, appropriate paperwork (utility bill, irish reg cert, proof of ID) and then you need to get it taxed before you sell it.

it would be much easier to sell it in ireland, if you trust anyone to do it for you to save you some hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

To be honest, the models sold in Ireland tend to be lower spec by comparison to the UK, charged for more money; so you'll take a bigger hit trying to sell it in the UK - and that's on top of having to have the car certified (and any work required to do so) in order to have the DVLI issue a registration.

Much less hassle to sell it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What about a car that was originally brought into Ireland from the UK? (not by me)

What if I wanted to sell it again in the UK? Back to where it was originally bought...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

seachto7 wrote: »
    What about a car that was originally brought into Ireland from the UK? (not by me)

What if I wanted to sell it again in the UK? Back to where it was originally bought...

same as my post above. i'm in the (very long drawn out) process of doing it at the moment. you won't be able to register it in the UK without having insurance here too.

I should have said the car I have was bought in NI, so not sure if there are different rules for there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mcc1

I should have said the car I have was bought in NI, so not sure if there are different rules for there....

Are we talking about Southern Irish plates or Northern Irish plates? If its Northern Irish plates then selling you car will no problem whatsoever, as its still a uk plate.

I've never seen any cars sold in N.Ireland with Southern Irish plates. Is that even legal? Pretty sure you would have to re-register it in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/moving-vehicles-between-britain-and-northern-irelandl]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Just wanted to add that re-registering over here is a bureaucratic nightmare made only slightly easier if the car is over 10 years old. You could possibly look into places that will buy anything but be wary of rules and price probably won't be great. Assuming that you have Southern plates I would take the hit and sell it back in Ireland.

mcc1 wrote: »
    Are we talking about Southern Irish plates or Northern Irish plates? If its Northern Irish plates then selling you car will no problem whatsoever, as its still a uk plate.

I've never seen any cars sold in N.Ireland with Southern Irish plates. Is that even legal? Pretty sure you would have to re-register it in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/moving-vehicles-between-britain-and-northern-irelandl]

It has Irish plates, but was originally bought in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

It has Irish plates, but was originally bought in NI.

Then it probably had original UK plates; tbh - call the DVLI and talk to someone about it.

Advertisement