Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Noob

Options
  • 21-11-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey everyone! I'm not from Ireland and I've never even gone to an irish school, but I'm taking the leaving cert! There is obviously a lot for me to learn. I'm used to usually having it pretty easy with cut and simple multiple choice tests to but the leaving cert has all different papers so I have to look at some old ones to make sure I don't miss out on something I had to learn(like the poems in English I just found out about!). I'm slowing wrapping my head around that but was wondering if I could get some help with suggested textbooks or just other tips you guys have.

Higher Level: Math, Biology, Geography, German
    Ordinary: English, Business(haven't even touched Business so I have no idea what to expect there)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

So just to clarify are you going to an irish school now or teaching yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dsee

Sorry if that was a bit confusing. I will just be teaching myself. I'm not certain if I will be taking all of those higher level but I really do need a good score so that's the plan. I know a good bit of biology and geography as well to, but I do need to learn a good bit more in detail for both. German isn't not a problem because I'm already pretty good. I'm not too great at english so I think I'm going to stick to ordinary.

Edit: As for books I only have Changing World by Charles Hayes for geography and Biology Now! by Tommy Murtagh for Biology. For the rest I only have Less Stress More Success revision books. I plan on calling the school I'm taking the test at and asking them but if anyone wants to let me know if what book they used and if they liked it I'd appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

are you planning on sitting the leaving cert in 2014 or 2015? I'm just kind of confused by your post. Sorry if its a rude question but why have you decided to do the leaving cert if you're not from Ireland and have never gone to an Irish school? I think I need more information before I can give you advice :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You don't seem to know much about the exam and the courses you have to follow.
    You know there is a Field Study which has to be presented (and signed off on by a registered teacher) in Geography? And an oral in German?

You have to register before the end of January to sit the exam in 2014 as an external candidate, but I worry that if you are used to multiple choice style exams you will struggle with the essays and level of answers expected in the Leaving Certificate, particularly at Higher Level.

The oral exam I know about and my german is practically good enough already. I already spoke to my school about the project. I am waiting for more information about it. Could you vaguely explain it for me? I hear you on the essay questions though. I know this is going to be a load of work, but I have to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

2014 or 2015?

a0ifee wrote: »
    are you planning on sitting the leaving cert in 2014 or 2015? I'm just kind of confused by your post. Sorry if its a rude question but why have you decided to do the leaving cert if you're not from Ireland and have never gone to an Irish school? I think I need more information before I can give you advice :o

Don't mean to be rude either but I would just rather not explain my situation, sorry. I do plan on taking it in 2014 though. I literally do nothing all day. I have the time; I just need to make myself do the work... starting yesterday:rolleyes:

spurious wrote: »
    2014 or 2015?

2014. Oh and yeah, I don't know much about the exam. I only know the little bit that I've found out looking online and at old exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I don't want to dismiss your efforts but Biology alone is a huge course to do by June....would 2015 not put less pressure on yourself?

I agree with a0ifee, 2015 is much more realistic.

Take a question from any Biology or Geography past paper and upload your essay style answer here. There are plenty people au fait enough with marking schemes to give you an idea of what standard you are at.

• Advertisement

I appreciate the concerns as to which year I will be taking the exam, and it certainly would be less stress taking it in 2015. That being said, I'm still taking it 2014. You guys will just have to tell me "I told you so" after. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Leaving Cert is easy apart from Maths might want to think again about taking higher level.
    Go to examinations.ie and look at the past exam papers. The layout is the same every year and the same stuff comes up again and again

Doris300 wrote: »
    Leaving Cert is easy apart from Maths might want to think again about taking higher level.
    Go to examinations.ie and look at the past exam papers. The layout is the same every year and the same stuff comes up again and again

That will be why everyone gets maximum points every year I suppose.

You are not helping the poster by minimising the amount of work it will take for someone not used to essay style answers. Maths is probably the easiest one for someone who isn't used to essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

spurious wrote: »
    That will be why everyone gets maximum points every year I suppose.

You are not helping the poster by minimising the amount of work it will take for someone not used to essay style answers. Maths is probably the easiest one for someone who isn't used to essays.

I echo your concerns about multiple choice vs essay style answers but at the same time the OP has made it clear he is willing to work.

Geography essays don't really require much thinking it's mainly learning off and regurgitating facts. While Biology on the face of it is a massive course there are key chapters which always come up. In fact if you are clever enough(strongly recommend against doing this) you could probably attempt a full paper from covering about 70% of the course.

I don't know what the OP's ability in Maths is like but if you have a natural ability and flair for maths, it could click very quickly and would easily be do-able in a year.

However, it should be beared in mind that every Leaving Cert subject is designed to be covered in two years. The only way to cover a subject in a year is to put serious work in and get your notes and stuff together. If you don't do about 8-10 hours a week in each subject, you could find yourself in trouble.

Advertisement