Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop recommendation for computing student

Options
  • 21-11-2013 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

My laptop finally broke down today, a Dell Inspiron n5030. Has being going for a while now, but today is the day!

So I'm looking for a replacement, but I'm not sure what to get. It'll mainly be used for programming, HTML, Photoshop, perhaps some video-editing. I enjoy the odd download or two as well and a bit of Football Manager, but no real gaming.

Willing to spend up to around €800, but obviously the cheaper the better.

Any ideas of what laptop I should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sealad

Beware ordering online from Dell.....they will leave you waiting for weeks and then change the order number so it looks like you just ordered. Much better going to DABS.ie and getting a samsung or a lenovo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mcw92

Sealad wrote: »
    Beware ordering online from Dell.....they will leave you waiting for weeks and then change the order number so it looks like you just ordered.

Never heard of this happening?...

baz2009 wrote: »
    My laptop finally broke down today, a Dell Inspiron n5030. Has being going for a while now, but today is the day!

So I'm looking for a replacement, but I'm not sure what to get. It'll mainly be used for programming, HTML, Photoshop, perhaps some video-editing. I enjoy the odd download or two as well and a bit of Football Manager, but no real gaming.

Willing to spend up to around €800, but obviously the cheaper the better.

Any ideas of what laptop I should be looking at?

Id reccomemed getting one on SaveonLaptops

They deliver to Ireland for £10, we'll say €15
    Then Upgrade the HD to an SSD yourself.
    Something like this which would be around €85.
    The speed increase will be huge with an SSD.
    Then you can buy an enclosure for the old internal HD yourself to make it a portable HD.

So we'll say we have €700 to spend, which is about £580.

Something like this should be good for your needs.

So £530 + 10(delivery) + 70(SSD) = £610
    Which is about €730-735.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sealad

This is the history of one of the Dell Orders (the other was cancelled after a delay of 1 month for a desktop)
    Order date 05/11/2013
    Expected ship date 08/11/2013

Invoice says delivery on or before 18/11/2013

New order number issued on 21/11/2013

Delivery date now says 05/12/2013

website still shows this machine shipping 1 day after order…false advertising !!!!

Contact their customer care.....GOOD LUCK.

Go for something with lots of RAM and a lot less that €800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mcw92

Sealad wrote: »

Go for something with lots of RAM and a lot less that €800

Very vague no?

A lot less than €800....care to explain why?

Advertisement