Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm for 3 bed semi?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking about getting an alarm for the house and I don't have a clue about them.

I have a 3 bed semi , new this year.
    House is wired for an alarm.

Downstairs.
    I have front door . Rear sliding door and 2 windows downstairs.

Upstairs
    there are 3 normal windows ( bedrooms) and 2 bathroom windows( they open from the bottom out)

I see there are wireless alarms and wired.
    I would prefer to go wired since it's already wired,
    And there would be less maintenance I presume?

The most recognizable company out there is phonewatch.
    Are these good alarms or are there better company's out there?

I am in shannon co.clare so any recomendations around limerick clare would help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

XsApollo wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking about getting an alarm for the house and I don't have a clue about them.

I have a 3 bed semi , new this year.
    House is wired for an alarm.

Downstairs.
    I have front door . Rear sliding door and 2 windows downstairs.

Upstairs
    there are 3 normal windows ( bedrooms) and 2 bathroom windows( they open from the bottom out)

Either of these systems would be ideal for a pre wired property.
    They give you the benefit of wired & the flexability to add wireless devices if you want or need to.
    The most recognizable company out there is phonewatch.
    Are these good alarms or are there better company's out there?
    Shop around.. All licensed company's can provide you with monitoring & probably at a more competitive price. Anyone I've quoted lately are not keen on their new system where they install cameras inside your home.:eek:

Also take a look at my post here.
    It gives information re the PSA & links to the resister of licensed installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭XsApollo

KoolKid wrote: »

Shop around.. All licensed company's can provide you with monitoring & probably at a more competitive price. Anyone I've quoted lately are not keen on their new system where they install cameras inside your home

The cameras in the house sort of took me by surprise.
    Wouldn't fancy that.
    I will have a read through the links m8 and prolly come back with more questions ;)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

Wired would be the preferable route if your home is pre-wired.
    A hybrid system would also give you the option of adding wire free devices like smoke/heat/carbon monoxide detectors, motions and so on in places where wiring is not available. There is also less maintenance as sensors that are wired do not need batteries replaced although routine checking of your system is still advised.

So I am just getting moving on this. How time flies :D

So after getting info from this forum I figured I would get some quotes and a visit from some different companies.

Wasn't easy would you believe.
    Rang 4 places.
    First place asked me to ring back when I was in my house so I could go around and describe the place so they wouldn't have to come out.
    I said I "might" ring them back and he said ok and hung up.
    Didn't sound interested so not ringing them back. They have positive feedback on here.

Second place said the same and would email me on the quote.
    I asked what panel they were using, then I asked about another panel and he got pretty offended :s saying he had some but he wants to throw them out and his panels are the best and where did I hear about this other panel as I put him out by suggesting it.

Third place, rang them they took my details and would be out tomorrow to look at the house and do up a quote. Thumbs up :)

4th place rang them and they arrived today to look around and show the gear they would be using and would get back to me with a quote.

My house is wired but it's not wired at the windows or back door
    It's wired for PIR's in sitting room , kitchen, hall, landing and front door is wired as well.

One thing I noticed is that none of the 4 places I rang suggested putting sensors on the back door and downstairs windows and that PIR's was all I needed.

Anyway I got a quote for 850euro for 4 PIRs and sensors on 2 doors and 2 windows. Using Aritech panel and sensors.

Other Guy is using HKC1070 and is getting back to me with a quote for the same as above. He was also on about some app thing coming for this that I could control it on my phone or something.

Is that quote steep above?
    Is Aritech a good panel?
    I am actually leaning towards the second guy with HKC panel as he actually called out :D and it seems to be recommended on here.

Will post about the third quote tomorrow.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

I have no idea why someone would mention Aritech, they are not called that anymore they are UTC. Is this panel an ATS1000 by any chance?

So everyone has spotted the PIR wiring and have specified accordingly. That is only a basic system.
    With that in mind I would recommend the HKC 10/70. That panel can accommodate those wired PIRS but also provides a wireless infrastructure which you can utilise to fit wireless shock sensors and contacts to windows and doors which have not been wired.
    Also their app will be released later this month, a nice app at that.

• Advertisement

Anyway I got a quote for 850euro for 4 PIRs and sensors on 2 doors and 2 windows. Using Aritech panel and sensors.

It is just a basic protection you are being priced for. Perimeter protection backed up by a couple of PIRs is always going to offer the most protection.
    At lease two of them PIRs are going to be off at night.
    I would of said about €550-€600 at most if you are using wired devices.
    Does this price include any sort of monitoring?
    The HKC app is to be released shortly but there will be a fee involved from what I have being told.

Thanks kub.
    The aritech qoute quotes Aritech Adviser 1000SM. And GE Adviser 1110A
    If that means anything.
    I don't know what equipment the company calling out tomorrow uses so we will see:)

Altor that's without monitoring. Monitoring is 150ex vat.

I also see gsm Dialer as an extra at 130ex vat.

Altor that's without monitoring. Monitoring is 150ex vat.

I also see gsm Dialer as an extra at 130ex vat.

Seems a bit steep to me for the cost of the alarm install, I would shop around.

Will do. I'll have 2 more quotes tomorrow.
    Anybody have any recommendations for me ?:)

Just saw your homepage Altor I don't mind if you recommend yourself hehe.

• Advertisement

Will do. I'll have 2 more quotes tomorrow.
    Anybody have any recommendations for me ?:)

Just saw your homepage Altor I don't mind if you recommend yourself hehe.

Sure I cant recommend myself enough :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Has any of those sent you on a proper system design proposal in writing?
    All licensed company's are obliged to give you this in writing.
    +1 on going with a hybrid system and perimeter protection.
    I heard the rumors again re the HKC app. Not sure how long it will be this time.
    I am not a fan of paying for apps for an alarm system when there are so many offering them for Free.
    Siemens , Risco & GSD i70 for example. GSD & Risco also give you free notifications eliminating the need for a dialler at all.
    Also your experience re the installer telling you what you need to install is far too common in the industry here IMO. Do some more shopping around before being deciding . All the systems mentioned have some nice features . Its a matter of seeming what gives you the most to match your needs and at the right price of course,

altor wrote: »
    Sure I cant recommend myself enough :D
    Well if I'm not too far for you hit me with a pm and we can go from there m8.

@koolkid

I got a quote, as in a list of items and there location and function and a price
    I dunno if that's what your thinking of as a design proposal.
    I'm getting other quotes tomorrow.

I would be perfectly happy with 3 wireless contacts for 2 windows and rear door.
    Then the wired front door contact and the 4 wired PIRs.
    And if it notified me when it went off.
    Maybe another panel upstairs.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Im having the same problem finding it hard to get someone out to quote, please feel free to pm me im in the Mullingar area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

I would be perfectly happy with 3 wireless contacts for 2 windows and rear door.
    Then the wired front door contact and the 4 wired PIRs.
    And if it notified me when it went off.
    Maybe another panel upstairs.
    Cheers.

Just for a heads up.......Contacts are units which only detect the opening of a window or door, you could hit a window with a sledgehammer and the contact will not detect that as it is not designed to do that. Therefore an intruder could smash his way through a pane of glass undetected by the alarm units on that window, then climb through the section he just broke. Then he is in your home.
    Granted you will have beams in the house, which should detect him, only issue is, he is already in and is now playing with time.
    Also consider the intruders mental capability at this time, his adrenalin is pumping and God only knows what 'Dutch or Afghanistan courage' he has taken.
    Therefore I would urge you to consider Inertia Shock sensors with those contacts, better for the system to activate before he even damages the window from outside.

Ps the HKC app will be released on 20th of May, I have been reliably informed. (Can't wait :D )

+1 to all of that.
    Anyone trying to sell you a trap system (internal PiRs ) is looking at what suits them not what suits your security needs.(ie a cheap fast installation)
    Why anyone would be happy with a system that waits untill someone has already broken into your property before activating is beyond me I'm afraid.

Well if I'm not too far for you hit me with a pm and we can go from there m8.

Sent you a P.M.

Advertisement