Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Rapid 3

Options
  • 20-11-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Thinking of buying a second hand Giant Rapid 3 as a training bike and for use in duathlons/adventure races. I don't know anything about them but I like the shape/look/running gear and it would reduce the wear and tear on my road bike. Anyone with any experience of this bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Tony Fitz wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a second hand Giant Rapid 3 as a training bike and for use in duathlons/adventure races. I don't know anything about them but I like the shape/look/running gear and it would reduce the wear and tear on my road bike. Anyone with any experience of this bike

Bought the rapid 2 in the summer, I love it, Great all round bike, and extremely quick..

In saying that I have never had a road bike so cant compare.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

AFAIK it's basically a Defy frame with flat bars. It's a lovely frame but flat bars will put you at a significant disadvantage in races, at least on-road.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 givusapush

Have one aswell as my road bike.no problems with it.its actually fast enough on da flat.longers spins you may struggle if wanting more positions or going into a headwind where you want to get into the drops on road bike.other than that fine bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Have this myself - lovely bike. I did a number of races last season with the Rapid and didn't find an issue keeping up. Not having the drops isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be (except in a headwind). Most of your time would be spent on the hoods on a road bike in any case.

If you're using it solely for racing though (i.e. not commuting), i'd say get the Defy. Same setup, plus you get the benefit of the drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

givusapush wrote: »
    Have one aswell as my road bike.no problems with it.its actually fast enough on da flat.longers spins you may struggle if wanting more positions or going into a headwind where you want to get into the drops on road bike.other than that fine bike.

Would agree here, great all round bike. Wouldn't use it for long distance but a fine bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Have this myself - lovely bike. I did a number of races last season with the Rapid and didn't find an issue keeping up. Not having the drops isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be (except in a headwind). Most of your time would be spent on the hoods on a road bike in any case.

If you're using it solely for racing though (i.e. not commuting), i'd say get the Defy. Same setup, plus you get the benefit of the drops.

Descending on drops is a hell of a lot safer as you have a lower centre of Gravity and are much more in tune with the bike.

I won't presume to speak for all cyclists but I use the drops on my bikes around 50% of the time, essentially unless I'm in traffic or climbing (or on a drag) it's more comfortable in the drops and the power transfer for me is fine.

Advertisement