Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xperia Z1?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Hijack: What are the differences between the normal Z and the Z1? I've seen both for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Not much in it for your average android user.
    If you're after a better camera tho the z1 seems to be the way to go.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Sony-Xperia-Z1,Sony-Xperia-Z/phones/8000,7539

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

Phoenix wrote: »
    Anyone have this phone??would ye recommend it?

i have my z1 about 2 months now and i love it
    battery lasts for about 3 days with heavy use, but i have stamina mode turned on
    i have the black z1 and my only gripe is with fingerprints stains
    i got mine through meteor and i got the qx10 lens free, but it took nearly 6 weeks to get it
    just be aware there are several z1 models about, o2 are selling the c6902 z1 which is only 3g/hspa
    so make sure its the c6903 model you are getting as this z1 has 4g/lte
    i had a samsung galaxy s3 before this and i prefer the sony, the operating system is very easy to get used to compared to the samsung which i found horrible
    just be aware the glass on the back scratches very easily so u should invest in a case,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Came from an S3 too and much prefer the Z1 battery life is fantastic and I got the sbh-52 headset also which keeps to phone in the pocket unless needed too. Camera is excellent but screen viewing angles are a bit crap. I gave the S3 to the girlfriend but it started freezing on her so have to sort that out.

i actually think camera on my s3 is better than my z1
    night time pictures are horrible on z1, all blurry and full of light noise
    but because its such a new phone im hoping sony will fix this with an update

• Advertisement

So I have the 4g z1 now. Hoping to get 4.3 or 4.4 in a few days.

As for the quality of the camera, I haven't really used it as much as I would need to to test it, but it seems fine for me. Some times a little slow to snap a pic but otherwise grand. I was reading a thread over on XDA and they were suggesting it was an app issue and alternative one worked better. They had comparison pictures and it did seem to deal with low light better.

My biggest issue with the phone so far is the vibration motor. It's loud but really weak! I can have my phone in my pocket while sitting at my desk and I wont feel it; I'll only hear it.

If you're into putting on a custom ROM etc the Z1 is a little harder than most phones. I haven't tried it yet but I probably will if 4.4 doesn't come out soon. I think i'll end up losing some features. Probably won't miss them too much. I just have to make sure that it's possible to go back to Stock if things are better off here.

this site is good for telling about release dates for android, http://www.xperiablog.net/
    i cant wait for kitkat too, apparently it minimises the apps running in the background, so im hoping it will improve battery life
    but as far as jellybean 4.3 compared to 4.2.2, there arent really any changes unless you have a nexus
    btw if your phone came via a contract, then its going to have the bootloader locked, which means you wont be able to install a rom
    the only way to unlock the bootloader is to swap the motherboard
    to confirm wheter bootloader is permanently locked or can be opened

open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu. tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can install rom. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your Z1 cannot be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I love it, my favourite Android handset to date and I have been through a few - SGS2, SGS3, Galaxy Note 2, HTC Sensation, HTC Desire, Xperia Z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭leche solara

Agree with Inquitus above. I've been through a good few Android phones too, and this is definitely the best I've had.

• Advertisement

Considering it has a microSD card slot (becoming very rare in phones these days), 4g, good camera (some software issues still) it's a great phone.

I find it a little large in my pocket, coming from a 4" SGS1, and the design is very square. I probably would have gone with the S4 if my carrier in out foreign had the quad core version rather than dual core. SGS4 has a removable battery, and is generally better supported on XDA in terms of aftermarket ROMs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm having a few issues with my phone I'm hoping someone can help me resolve.
    My settings keep resetting. For example the time it takes for my screen to lock keeps resetting to 15 seconds and the brightness of my screen keeps going back to the lowest setting. Also my wifi connection keeps turning off and i have to turn it back on.
    Any thoughts?

weiland79 wrote: »
    I'm having a few issues with my phone I'm hoping someone can help me resolve.
    My settings keep resetting. For example the time it takes for my screen to lock keeps resetting to 15 seconds and the brightness of my screen keeps going back to the lowest setting. Also my wifi connection keeps turning off and i have to turn it back on.
    Any thoughts?
    is the stamina mode turned on?

I'm finding that the built in sony calendar app keeps changing the settings. I want the day of the week to start on Monday but it keeps changing back to Sunday.

Back to Google cal I go.

Faz6r wrote: »
    is the stamina mode turned on?

yes it is actually

yes it is actually
    thats the problem so, only way to keep wifi on all the time even in standby is turn this off
    if you want to keep it turned on there are apps that you can keep running in stamina mode
    if you go into settings and then power management, click the stamina mode, dont turn it off just click it to left of the on/off where is says stamina, this brings you into a menu where you can add apps to stay on in standby.
    normally on my phone when i wake it from standby the wifi takes about 30 seconds to come on, but there is an option called location based wifi, so if you are near a saved wifi network it comes on automatically

Faz6r wrote: »
    thats the problem so, only way to keep wifi on all the time even in standby is turn this off
    if you want to keep it turned on there are apps that you can keep running in stamina mode
    if you go into settings and then power management, click the stamina mode, dont turn it off just click it to left of the on/off where is says stamina, this brings you into a menu where you can add apps to stay on in standby.
    normally on my phone when i wake it from standby the wifi takes about 30 seconds to come on, but there is an option called location based wifi, so if you are near a saved wifi network it comes on automatically

Great thanks Is that going to do anything for the other issues I'm having though?

no not unless you disable stamina mode

Ok so just looked there and i have stamina mode low battery mode and location based WIFI enabled. So i guess when the Battery level gets below a certain level it disables these functions, Turns down the screen brightness etc. Kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

An issue with calls going straight to speakerphone seems to have cropped up with the Z1 over the past few days.
    It only happens to me with the first call of the day but its driving me soft. Few posters on the Sony forums posting about it.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Z1s/Phone-answers-calls-in-speaker-phone-mode/td-p/574599/highlight/false

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.htcmania.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D12749319%2529%25C2%25A0are

• Advertisement

Thats been happening to me too.

I discovered the cause of another bug that's been annoying the hell out of me. If you have SmartKey installed (that allows you to control things from the headset), the lockscreen music controls don't work, and the lockscreen in general becomes really buggy (stops screen turning off, flickers, won't let you swipe to other screens...)

Disabling smartkey fixes this. Apparently this bug has been fixed in newer version, but my carrier or sony (cant be sure which) hasn't released the update.

Haven't had the time to go for a new ROM. Aside for a few small issues I'm quite happy with the phone.

Thats been happening to me too.

When did it start? I thought it was just the first call but its happening more frequently today. Those guys are Sony Forum are putting it down to one of the Sony preinstalled apps. Its very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Yeah I'm getting it too, really really odd problem. My phone hasn't had a software update or anything.

Anyone have this bluetooth headset? Is it any good? Considering buying it but it's fairly expensive.

statto25 wrote: »
    When did it start? I thought it was just the first call but its happening more frequently today. Those guys are Sony Forum are putting it down to one of the Sony preinstalled apps. Its very annoying.

Can't tell you the exact day but certainly late last week. It's not just normal calls it happens with viber too

If you are having the speakerphone issue and use Chrome as your browser, uninstall the updates from Chrome, clear the cache on the Phone app and restart the phone. Chrome may be causing the speakerphone issue.

Sorry but how do I uninstall the chrome updates?

Sorry but how do I uninstall the chrome updates?

Go into Settings > Apps
    Scroll Across to All
    Locate Chrome and select it
    In the Chrome App Info there should be a button to "Uninstall Updates"
    It will ask do you want to restore app to factory - Select Yes

That's it from what I recall

Then go into the Phone under the same "All" menu and clear the cache.
    Restart the phone and get someone to call you.

I did above this morning and haven't had an issue since

OSI wrote: »
    Just a word of warning to anyone considering rooting their Z1. Had mine since launch day last September, and had it running a stock 4.3 rom rooted. Charged the phone one night, and it wouldn't turn on in the morning. Phone was completely dead. Sent it off for warranty work and Sony told me the **** off because it was rooted. Wanted €310 to fix it. Thankfully it was insured and I've new one on the way, but just a word of caution.

Thanks for the warning. I'm running a rooted 4.4.2. It's pretty stock unfortunately, but when I Have some more time I'll try doing more.

I would use the excuse that if the phone broke it was during the update over the sony software. Play dumb.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Just a word of warning to anyone considering rooting their Z1. Had mine since launch day last September, and had it running a stock 4.3 rom rooted. Charged the phone one night, and it wouldn't turn on in the morning. Phone was completely dead. Sent it off for warranty work and Sony told me the **** off because it was rooted. Wanted €310 to fix it. Thankfully it was insured and I've new one on the way, but just a word of caution.
    would'nt be nice if they shipped you the wrong phone and you got a Z2 instead

Advertisement