Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Virus?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

OK, i'm doing a process of elimination to determine if its a virus. And could really use your help.

Issue:
    Im using the internet on my laptop connected to my mobile by Portable Hot-spot. I launch the browser, and everything works, pages load, applications connected to the internet. After about 10-15 minutes, the pages time out and cannot load. In the browser loading bar, it says Connecting.. (not connected). If I disable the network adapter and re-enable, it works again. Now heres what i've tested so far! Please note, that its only the browsers that wont load pages, Skype and all other internet applications connect and stay connected without interruption.

- Norton 360 scan - Nothing found.
    - ping 4.2.2.3 - Success
    - ping google.ie - Success (Resolves, not a DNS issue)
    - No firewalls (including windows firewall)
    - Network status is: Connected - Internet access
    - Internet on phone is working
    - No firewall or AV on phone
    - No battery saver on phone
    - No battery saver on PC
    - same result on Firefox, Internet explorer, Chrome
    - No proxy

Any ideas? Cause im clueless now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

unlikely to be a virus issue

does it happen in safe mode with networking ? when did it start happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

In Safe mode, with Networking, the machine works perfectly fine.

I want to add one more thing i tested last night however, I set a proxy server in my firefox settings with a port of 8080, and BINGO the pages started loading. Only starts after 10 mins of the internet being active. Started about 2-3 weeks ago now. Any ideas?

if it works fine in safe mode then some program is responsible

run DDS and post its log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/dds/

Thanks a mill. I will try and get at this by tomorrow.

As requested

• Advertisement

looks fine, you have a lot of programs running, and since your pc works ok in safe mode with networking, then it has to be one of those.

try disable the programs you don't need to run on startup via msconfig, should help

Advertisement