Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any improvement in Three's reception since the O2 merger?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anybody know if there is any improvement in Three's reception since they bought o2?

I used to be with them as they are the cheapest and offer best data. However, their incompetent customer service and poor reception down home (North Kildare) made me leave once my contract was up.

Planning on getting a new phone now and I realise they are still the best value.

However I don't want to go back to having little to no reception (particularly 3G reception) when I go back home at weekends.

And I guess it would be too much to hope that the O2 customer service team have replaced the Indian call centre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hasn't happened yet. EU Competition Authority have to rule on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

efb wrote: »
    Hasn't happened yet. EU Competition Authority have to rule on it

Thanks.

Say an O2 billboard advertising unlimited data and thought it was them bringing their offerings in line with three as an initial stage of integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

floggg wrote: »
    Thanks.

Say an O2 billboard advertising unlimited data and thought it was them bringing their offerings in line with three as an initial stage of integration.

That's probably the reason they are doing it. But the Unlimited Internet is a temporary offer over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

floggg wrote: »
    Hi

Does anybody know if there is any improvement in Three's reception since they bought o2?

I used to be with them as they are the cheapest and offer best data. However, their incompetent customer service and poor reception down home (North Kildare) made me leave once my contract was up.

Planning on getting a new phone now and I realise they are still the best value.

However I don't want to go back to having little to no reception (particularly 3G reception) when I go back home at weekends.

And I guess it would be too much to hope that the O2 customer service team have replaced the Indian call centre.

No there is not. My partner has it and the reception is terrible, useless in the house- can't even make or recieve a call. There useless customer service team drives me mad as I have to make the calls to them. When this contract is up we will be going with someone else.. Would not recommend three network to anyone :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,462 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This merger, as already stated, hasn't happened in any way, shape or form yet. It could be next year before a ruling is made on it and until that is done nothing changes......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hopefully, the merger does not go ahead, it will be bad for competition.

Three are currently offering concessions to the EC. Their 50% stake in Tesco Mobile, post acquisition, will be sold, probably to Tesco.

Also, UPC are going to do a MVNO on Three/O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭GIMP

Fungus wrote: »

Three are currently offering concessions to the EC. Their 50% stake in Tesco Mobile, post acquisition, will be sold, probably to Tesco.

Agreed its disastrous for competition, what O2 needs is an outside buyer.

Wonder will Tesco Mobile continue to use O2 if the merger is sucessful?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Seeing as three is a relatively small player in the market, I can't see the harm to competition especially if they improve O2's god-awful data allowances and confusing packages. 5 networks was way too many for a small market like Ireland. Bring it on, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I say a merger would be good for competition,
    Vodafone are sitting on their fat arses doing nothing and charging the **** out of people, while making a huge profit and have most of the customer base. If three buy ouy 02 they would be a big player and would be able to challenge vodafone, (which they will do, if they have intelligence) This will drive down vodafones prices a bit, but knowing vodafones stubbornness, we might be looking at three taking over the irish telecom market, and hopefully telling the indian call center to **** off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't think it would be particularly bad for competition. As things stand, Three are very limited in their investment capacity because of their small subscriber base. Merging with O2 would allow them to provide some decent competition to Vodafone's very dominant market share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I don't think it would be particularly bad for competition. As things stand, Three are very limited in their investment capacity because of their small subscriber base. Merging with O2 would allow them to provide some decent competition to Vodafone's very dominant market share.

3's broadband is already quite congested, more users will not be a good thing for existing customers.

You do realise that you can fix that problem by puttinh higher frequiency bands in the highly congested areas, and you can always double up specturm. With 10% of the market, this would only be worthwile in the likes of dublin and city centers of limerick cork ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The merger decision is due on march 26th. The 3G network won't be as congested once 4g is up and running. That's one of the reasons why cities like NYC needed 4g so bad

I presume the 4g network will be up before march? I actually tested 4g in galway city last thursday on a samsung galaxy s4 on vodafone. I got 20mbps down and 6mbps up.Nice speeds. The fastest i ever got on 3g was on the motorway outside shannon (airport and town) it was 8.54mbps on the three network. (Half twelve at.night)

But if your in dublin city center. Use wifi. All networks are slow especially three. Vodafone i got 0.21 mbps down
    Meteor 0.30 mbps down
    02 0.06 mbps down
    Three 0.01 down

Thats dublin city center at 5pm. Awful speeds. Well it is to be expected. Atm im getting 2.3mbps here in west clare.( on three)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

3's broadband is already quite congested, more users will not be a good thing for existing customers.

They may be able to afford to improve their broadband infrastructure if they have a larger customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Fungus wrote: »

There was talk of Liberty/UPC buying Vodafone. Any word on that?

Seeing as three is a relatively small player in the market, I can't see the harm to competition especially if they improve O2's god-awful data allowances and confusing packages. 5 networks was way too many for a small market like Ireland. Bring it on, I say!
    We only have four physical networks unless I am mistaken. Voda, O2, Meteor, Three.

No upc/liberty wanted to buy 02, but three got it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They'll have more important stuff to take care of first, like renaming the Point O2 to 'the 3' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

To be honest. I say they will come up with a better name then the Three. Maybe just Three. The three dosnt sound right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

ballooba wrote: »
    There was talk of Liberty/UPC buying Vodafone. Any word on that?

Apparently AT & T are rumoured to be interested in buying Vodafone

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-31/at-t-is-said-to-explore-vodafone-takeover-as-soon-as-next-year.html

Three have potential to be a great network. Considering all the services they offer. For eg: I can buy apps off my bill/credit. Very good outdoor reception (indoor isnt great). And lots of exclusive deals. Also the best value

Carnacalla wrote: »
    No upc/liberty wanted to buy 02, but three got it
    That's O2 Ireland. I'm talking about Vodafone Group PLC.

Okay then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

three are buying o2, they are not merging

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Okay then
    Actually, I had that the wrong way around. Vodafone might buy UPC parent Liberty Global. Obviously Liberty Global wouldn't be able to afford Vodafone. Vodafone could afford three Liberty Globals just with the cash from the Verizon Wireless sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vodafone might buy UPC parent Liberty Global.

It's more likely that Vodafone will be bought by AT&T once the Verizon transaction is complete early in 2014.
    Obviously Liberty Global wouldn't be able to afford Vodafone.

Correct
    Vodafone could afford three Liberty Globals just with the cash from the Verizon Wireless sale.

True but they have said that they will give most of the cash to shareholders so a mega takeover such as that is not on the horizon plus there would be major regulatory issues in Germany where Vodafone recently acquired >75% of Kabel Deutschland.

http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/investors/verizon-wireless-transaction.yes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

In the car from Malahide to Dublin city center this morning and had no internet connection until i got to Connolly station, happens everytime there is a smidgen of bad weather. Can't wait till my contract is up with them i will drop them like a bad habit.

• Advertisement

neilmulvey wrote: »
    three are buying o2, they are not merging

Yes they are. What have you been reading??

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/three-boss-calms-mobile-bill-fears-as-firm-buys-o2-29369362.html

Advertisement