Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic liquid to drink before singing?

Options
  • 20-11-2013 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I was watching a documentary the other night that showed a singer drinking something from a small medicine looking bottle before going on stage and it reminded me of some old footage of Ben Harper, who also drank some kind of product from a small medicine type bottle before going on stage. He actually holds it up and names it but I couldn't make out what he says. It was the last thing he did after a fairly extensive series of vocal warm up exercises. Just wondering if anyone knows of any product they might be using or a similar thing that people have heard of?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Eddie vedder drinks the same potion and I don't know what it is but my pal does. I'll PM you tomorrow with the details. It involves Chinese medicine. That I do know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

It's not that stuff that partially paralyses your vocal cords is it???!!

I tell my clients to make the following concoction before singing - as much raw ginger as you can stand, a lemon, a lime and some honey to taste.

Chop them all up and put in a teapot with boiling water. Allow to cool so that its warm but not hot. Pour from the pot so you're left with just the liquid.

The ginger is a natural anti inflammatory, the citrus helps remove excess phlegm and the honey soothes the throat. Stay away from menthol based products as they tend to dry the throat out.

Alternatively, you can buy lumps of crystallised ginger in health food shops. Chew those before performing. They taste very strong but are excellent for voice health.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Wurly wrote: »
    It's not that stuff that partially paralyses your vocal cords is it???!!

I tell my clients to make the following concoction before singing - as much raw ginger as you can stand, a lemon, a lime and some honey to taste.

Chop them all up and put in a teapot with boiling water. Allow to cool so that its warm but not hot. Pour from the pot so you're left with just the liquid.

Do you squeeze the lemon and lime or just chop them up and let them stew?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 niallofcork

Vodka

Oink wrote: »
    Do you squeeze the lemon and lime or just chop them up and let them stew?

Chop them up and let them stew. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't have a teapot but I do have a giant sportsdirect mug... and I may be needing this today!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 happybear2

I allways drink vodka or something strong before and during singing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

1 Large bottle of Elderberry Wine
    2 Pints of Budweiser or 'Bud Light'
    1 Vodka & Tonic (Large)
    1/2 Flagon of Cider - 'Bulmers' rather than 'Merrydown'.

Later on when you get to the venue itself you may well feel like you've already had enough, this is normal, the trick is to keep lashing it down otherwise you'll start to feel sleepy and dehydrated. So just before you're ready to 'hit' the stage try the following:

1 Large Brandy & Port, A couple of flaming Sambucas before washing it all down with a 3 litre plastic bottle of undiluted 'Sunny Delight' - kids love it!

Good luck, you certainly won't suffer from 'stage fright' or feel shy, in fact you mightn't feel anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

9959 wrote: »
    1 Vodka & Tonic (Large)

Later on when you get to the venue itself you may well feel like you've already had enough, this is normal, the trick is to keep lashing it down otherwise you'll start to feel sleepy and dehydrated. So just before you're ready to 'hit' the stage try the following:

1 Large Brandy & Port, A couple of flaming Sambucas before washing it all down with a 3 litre plastic bottle of undiluted 'Sunny Delight' - kids love it!

Good luck, you certainly won't suffer from 'stage fright' or feel shy, in fact you mightn't feel anything at all.

How helpful!!!! :rolleyes:

9959 wrote: »
    1 Vodka & Tonic (Large)

:)

Lets keep it to legitimately helpful posts going forward ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

was the drink called glycerin honey and lemon,i've taken that before. comes in a small brown medicine type bottle. i also use vocalzone pastilles,as do all my singing mates now since i told them about them. saw tom Jones talking about them on a doc and tried them out.they are the only thing i use now when singing. can't get them in Rep of Ireland though so i have to get them online from the north or chemist in England

Advertisement