Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Hot Water or Heating - Gas Boiler

Options
  • 20-11-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Trying to figure out for myself if we have a boiler problem or some other type of problem at home at the moment and hope you all can help.

In the past 2 days we have no hot water, yet all hot taps are running seemingly without pressure issues. We also have no heat to radiators and underfloor system.

When I first noticed same, I spotted that the pressure gauge was right down at around .5 bar. I immediately filled the system (in the best way I know how at the storage tank) and rose the pressure to 2 bar and immediately stopped the water filling the system again. I turned on the heating and hot water and the thermostat and started up the boiler. Things seemed to work as expected for about 3 seconds and the boiler started to fire, however, it almost immediately stopped firing and I've been unable to figure out what's going on.

I don't believe there is an air lock at present although this was a problem in the past a number of times. I suspect this is related to the own of nature of our water system in Dublin in recent days/weeks but could be way off.

The boiler I have is an Ideal Classic SE24 FF - http://www.solvgroup.com/uploaded_files/File/IDEAL_Classic_SEFF_inst_&_serv.pdf

I'm no plumber and I'm not great at fully understanding my hot water/central heating system so I want to get as much information as I can to help me with this stuff now and in the future.

Thanks in advance,

- Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

What's happening exactly ? Can you hear fan running? And is the boiler making a ticking noise as if trying to ignite?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Egass13 wrote: »
    What's happening exactly ? Can you hear fan running? And is the boiler making a ticking noise as if trying to ignite?

Yeah when I turn the boiler off with mains power switch and give it a couple of minutes say and then try to fire it up, it seems to make initial click as if trying to fire but gets no further and nothing further seems to happen.

Apologies for the lack of info/knowledge here. I'm not really sure what exactly I should be check here.

Are you sure the pilot Dsnt stay lit and just the main burner is not coming on ? Look in the little viewing window when your turning it on and see if this is happening . Either way your going to need an RGI I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Egass13 wrote: »
    Are you sure the pilot Dsnt stay lit and just the main burner is not coming on ? Look in the little viewing window when your turning it on and see if this is happening . Either way your going to need an RGI I'm afraid

The viewing scope shows now flame I'm afraid :mad: so I guess it looks like I need a boiler engineer to check it over.

Thanks,

- Mick

Stinkah wrote: »
    The viewing scope shows now flame I'm afraid :mad: so I guess it looks like I need a boiler engineer to check it over.

Thanks,

- Mick

That would be the best option, could be a seized fan , most common problem on them

• Advertisement
Advertisement