Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2005 timber frame house heating for 1st time

Options
  • 19-11-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Hi all
    Need a bit of help. Working in a house built in 2005. Timber frame const with block outer leaf. Need to get the heat on afraid of excessive cracking. How low can I put the heat on and for how long before increasing heat to minimise too quick dry out. This will be the first time to start heating and people coming home for Christmas.

Thanks
    NW

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Turn the stat of the boiler down to a lower heat so there is a low flow temperature to the rads. You could also open the windows in each room whilst heating is on.
    Gradually raise the temperature over time whilst checking the moisture content of the building fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Shane0007
    Thanks for that. I took a humidity reading today it's at 89%. I have to get that back to at least 65% constant. Ile have to go nice and easy. Hugh amount of timber flooring to be put down in new year, all ground floor.

Thanks again Shane
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

North West wrote: »
    I took a humidity reading today it's at 89%.

What temperature was the house when you took the rh reading of 89%? If the temp was v low then this isn't necessarily a high moisture reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Micktheman
    This house has never been heated, sitting idle since 2005. Just got a fill of oil today and will start heating tomorrow for the first time. The main reason I took the reading was to test because client wanted solid hardwood flooring installed before Christmas. Might not happen because I need to get that reading down or below 65% before I will attempt to put flooring in too risky. The heating needs to be fairly constant.
    NW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

North West wrote: »
    Hi Micktheman
    This house has never been heated, sitting idle since 2005. Just got a fill of oil today and will start heating tomorrow for the first time. The main reason I took the reading was to test because client wanted solid hardwood flooring installed before Christmas. Might not happen because I need to get that reading down or below 65% before I will attempt to put flooring in too risky. The heating needs to be fairly constant.
    NW

The reason I asked about the temperature is that the moisture content of air reading 89% rh at 10 degC is roughly the same as the moisture content of air reading 65% rh at 15 degC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement