Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football manager handheld 2014.

Options
  • 19-11-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Anybody else playing?

Im playing on my galaxy s4 and its absolutely superb.

Reminds me of the old champ manager games before everything got really complicated!!

No press conferences, no over elaborate tactics, no team talks, just buy players, sell players, choose your tactics and play.

One main gripe, after 8 league games as man united im sitting 10th in the league :o

Been beaten by hull, west brom and villa!! Its bloody hard! much work to do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah I got it despite not enjoying last years effort. I've got it on my Nexus 7 and HTC One. The tablet version is easier to get on with by far. I kinda miss certain things, not being able to tell players specific instructions is the main thing.

I'm struggling too, though I'm playing as Ipswich and have decided to invest in youth to try gain promotion next season and stay up. Had some good results, beat Leicester 4-3, drew 2-2 away to QPR but we then go out and get stuffed by crap teams.

Ah well, just have to play it some more and sort my tactics. I think an adventurous 4-1-2-2-1 may have been a bit too exotic for the Championship, i'll give the old 4-4-2 a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Can you get this on android? Is it worth buying, similar to the computer game?

How much

closeline wrote: »
    Can you get this on android? Is it worth buying, similar to the computer game?

How much

Yes its on both formats, slight differences between iOS and Android, iOS has iCloud saving both other than that its pretty much identical.

Its a bit like the old Championship Managers rather than Football Manager, obviously not even close to being as in-depth as FM 14. Pricey, €9 I think it is. Depends how much use you'll get out of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yes its on both formats, slight differences between iOS and Android, iOS has iCloud saving both other than that its pretty much identical.

Its a bit like the old Championship Managers rather than Football Manager, obviously not even close to being as in-depth as FM 14. Pricey, €9 I think it is. Depends how much use you'll get out of it really.

See that's just the problem for me. Too addictive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Good game, finished first seasonw with Liverpool this morning. brought Momo back in and just got Luke Shaw for 8m and John Flanagan.

Like the simplicity of it, no need to sweat the small stuff (although the match visuals are awful and seem really buggy)

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Good game, finished first seasonw with Liverpool this morning. brought Momo back in and just got Luke Shaw for 8m and John Flanagan.

Like the simplicity of it, no need to sweat the small stuff (although the match visuals are awful and seem really buggy)

I'm almost finished my first season with Ipswich Town. Can be kinda frustrating trying to figure out whats going wrong with tactics because the match engine is so poor. All the goals look pretty much identical plus it seems like players just stand still and do nothing when through on goal etc. Odd.

Still enjoying it when its not annoying me. Having fun scouting for young players and getting loan players in. I'm in the playoff race at the moment so hopefully I can try get promoted.

I'm almost finished my first season with Ipswich Town. Can be kinda frustrating trying to figure out whats going wrong with tactics because the match engine is so poor. All the goals look pretty much identical plus it seems like players just stand still and do nothing when through on goal etc. Odd.

Still enjoying it when its not annoying me. Having fun scouting for young players and getting loan players in. I'm in the playoff race at the moment so hopefully I can try get promoted.

Yes i was having dreadful trouble with the tactics, swtiched to a 4-3-3 and have picked up since them. I think you just cant take it too seriously and remember its a mobile game, I prefer playing this, flaws and all, over the grossly inflated (for me) current PC version.

Good luck in the promotion tilt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Marc Vaughan

I kinda miss certain things, not being able to tell players specific instructions is the main thing.
    The player roles allow you to give instructions to players - abeit instead of lots of little instructions its rolled into one 'overall' instruction (ie. play as a poacher etc.).

PS - Don't underestimate the importance of setting your captain, this is important because while all players have some influence over the team as a whole, the captain has the most and will also influence the style of play slightly through is own play (ie. select a defensive player as a captain and he'll help your team positionally in defense slightly if he's good enough, if he's an attacking player he'll encourage movement up front etc.).

Glad to hear you feel its like the old CM's - thats exactly what I was aiming at when I designed it - its intended to feel realistic, but far faster and a little more fun than the more recent PC versions :)

(with regards to 'price' - please bear in mind we pay the same licencing fee's per copy as the PC game does, this prevents the game from ever being a 'cheap' mobile title ... but does allow us usage of real player and club names and various logo's, player pics etc.)

The player roles allow you to give instructions to players - abeit instead of lots of little instructions its rolled into one 'overall' instruction (ie. play as a poacher etc.).

PS - Don't underestimate the importance of setting your captain, this is important because while all players have some influence over the team as a whole, the captain has the most and will also influence the style of play slightly through is own play (ie. select a defensive player as a captain and he'll help your team positionally in defense slightly if he's good enough, if he's an attacking player he'll encourage movement up front etc.).

Thats a nice bit of information, have Suarez as captain myself and i seem to be banging them in.

Gerrard seems to be completly underrated in the game, but overall great fun, halfway through the second season and sitting in 3rd at the moment. Leandro Damiao,Sturridge and Suarez forming a lethal partnership up front.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you feel its like the old CM's - thats exactly what I was aiming at when I designed it - its intended to feel realistic, but far faster and a little more fun than the more recent PC versions :)

(with regards to 'price' - please bear in mind we pay the same licencing fee's per copy as the PC game does, this prevents the game from ever being a 'cheap' mobile title ... but does allow us usage of real player and club names and various logo's, player pics etc.)

Thanks for the information about tactics Marc, I knew these instructions could be changed, I've finally got a tactic I'm relatively pleased with. Yeah its a nice change of pace. The slog of full FM 2014 doesn't appeal to me anymore but this is perfect. Really enjoyable.

Personally I think the price is fine, just letting the other boardsie know the price. I'd much prefer to pay €20 than have game ruining IAPs.

Keep up the good work!

Personally I think the price is fine, just letting the other boardsie know the price. I'd much prefer to pay €20 than have game ruining IAPs.

I'll never let the iAP's in a game I create affect its gameplay - thats why FMH has purchasable items* which can be unlocked through normal play and which are entirely optional.

*Outside of three challenges, which are again optional - btw if you've never tried the challenges I recommend them, a lot of people don't realise there is specific news and media in them surrounding the scenario involved.

I'll never let the iAP's in a game I create affect its gameplay - thats why FMH has purchasable items* which can be unlocked through normal play and which are entirely optional.

*Outside of three challenges, which are again optional - btw if you've never tried the challenges I recommend them, a lot of people don't realise there is specific news and media in them surrounding the scenario involved.

I don't mind those type of IAPs as they're not necessary or game breaking. Might give the challenges a go, I wasn't aware of that no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 xen0phon

Playing it on the Galaxy S3 and the screen is a little cramped compared to last years but there is a whole lot of more useful info on there too. So it's a trade -off I suppose.

Love it though, I particularly like the option to create your own team. It really brought me back to the days when the player editor first came out and we could add in our own names. My brothers and cousins and I would all add ourselves in as free transfers (amazing potential ability of course) and would scrap it out to sign as many of the wonderkids as possible. Great times!

Can someone post a few screenshots. Just want to have a look before I buy.

Do completing the challenges unlock things?

They do i think yeah, there's a list of unlockables on the FMHVibe site. I'm in work but I think you can see them in the game as well.

http://football-manager-handheld-2014.en.softonic.com/iphone/images-videos

In work so can't take any proper screenshots but theres some here.

League and Cup Double in the second season with Liverpool!

Sturridge, Damiao and Suarez with support from Munian up front shooting me to the title on the last day.

Going to start a longer term game now after a few challenges (taking Celtic on the Unbeatables one atm). Thinking Racing Santandar.

Anyone else started a long term game?

Some nice signings there. I'm just starting a 2nd season with Ipswich. Got to the playoffs last year but lost a heartbreaking semi-final to Watford 5-4 on aggregate with them scoring in the last few minutes. My aim is to get them to the CL and hopefully challenge for the Premiership eventually. Want to build up a big enough reputation that I can get offers from some of the big European clubs.

I'm going to play the Challenges on my phone instead of the tablet.

• Advertisement

Completing the challenges doesn't unlock things - however 'normal' gameplay does if you succeed in your career.

(fmhvibe has a list of what unlocks are available ... they're basically all of the purchasable items apart from challenges and a couple of things you can't purchase ..)

You can find screenshots on the GooglePlay website for the app:

FMH2014 on GooglePlay

Anyone else started a long term game?

I'm 18 seasons into my Eastbourne Boro (cough) test game at present .... I'm in the Premiership and competing for the title now, but haven't quite managed the magic combo to give me a title (came second a few seasons back and have lifted the FA Cup and lost in a Champions League title also).

In my defense (for the lack of success) I'm using the forthcoming update 1 at the moment which has a few tweaks in it to make it harder for you to hold onto great players at small clubs (not least their insisting on big club release clauses unless they're very loyal).

Change to 4 3 3 and you win everything. Its almost like a cheat. I have created my own club for it though. I like that option. If only i could import a crest .

Change to 4 3 3 and you win everything. Its almost like a cheat. I have created my own club for it though. I like that option. If only i could import a crest .

You can - make an image file called club_23071971.png and put it within the logos (or logos_android or logos_retina) directory under fmh2014_data on your device.

It'll need to be the same dimensions as the normal logos used -

38x27 - logos_android (800x480 skin)
    25x18 - logos (480x320 skin)
    50x36 - logos_retina (HD skins)

PS - Apologies for the seemingly random file name, its actually my date of birth ...

I updated the game recently but do the new updates only apply to a new game and not a saved game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Kinda tempted to get this.. was a huge fan of the older Championship Managers and whatever Football Manager's I played.

I have no doubt I'll enjoy this one too, I have one issue with it, and its not the price! Its will I play it too much!

Im travelling next week so I'll probably pick it up. It doesnt need data once its downloaded right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just a heads up this seems to be reduced at the moment.

It was €8.99 when I last looked at it, but when I clicked the buy button today it came up as €5.49

Kinda tempted to get this.. was a huge fan of the older Championship Managers and whatever Football Manager's I played.

I have no doubt I'll enjoy this one too, I have one issue with it, and its not the price! Its will I play it too much!

Im travelling next week so I'll probably pick it up. It doesnt need data once its downloaded right?

No data needed (aside from a one time download when opened for the first time), but its a fairly sizable download.

Its a good game if a bit simplistic, very much enjoying it though. Managed to win the CL with Leipzig yesterday

• Advertisement

Really back into this.

Took over Liverpool who were languishing in 10th in 2019, massive rebuilding job on my hands. Sturridge, Mign, Agger, Sktrl, Kelly, Hendo only real players left.

Top of the league on New Years Day 2020 so going well so far.

Agree with the person saying 433 is pretty much unbeatable, but its so hard to change from it! Also for regens Banfield and the team that begins with A in Argentina are amazing :)

Advertisement