Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacks for the wintertime.

Options
  • 19-11-2013 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Happened on this video while trying to find a cheap way to heat the place. Currently costing me 2 euro a day using electric heaters and I'll probably use them more as it gets colder. So I'm gonna give this flower pot heater a go.

Anyone any tips or tricks on keeping the place warm ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make sure the area is very well ventilated

also the cheap candles you get in pound shops and stuff can be quite nasty and don't burn cleanly, if there's a hint of smoke it's not good, there is a reason why oil lamps use those glass chimney things , candles can too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Make sure the area is very well ventilated

also the cheap candles you get in pound shops and stuff can be quite nasty and don't burn cleanly, if there's a hint of smoke it's not good, there is a reason why oil lamps use those glass chimney things , candles can too

Yeah I was thinking that all right, there is a bit of a draft here as it is so its somewhat ventilated in that regard. Not sure I could properly ventilate the place without losing whatever heat I'd get out of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I made this
    first attempt went a bit awry and I ended up with a 4 foot flame in my living room (dont ask)

I looked up a few other methods, one which bolts a smaller pot into a larger pot leaving about an inch of space. Use a bolt slightly shorter than your big pot and thread a load of nuts and washers onto it.
    The candle sits under the bolt to conduct heat, seems to work ok

The actual heater itself does produce heat, but not much. Its hot to the touch, need to use a cloth to pick it up, and you can feel the warmth about 3-5 inches away.
    however, it takes ages to get to that temp. I use 3-4 candles in it and they are near done when it gets to a suitable temp
    it would want to be a small room youre heating up.
    an allotment shed is the ideal space for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moon1

cool

Advertisement