Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad. Speech and Language Therapy UL

Options
  • 19-11-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, I'm currently in leaving cert and would love to be a speech and language therapist, however there is no way I'm going to get the points. I really want to do the MSc. Speech and Language Therapy in UL and I was wondering what kinds of level 8 courses would be good for getting a place in this course? I was thinking about Children's Studies with Arts or Psychiatric Nursing in NUIG, does anyone know if these would be good? Any help is appreciated as I have little knowledge of this :) Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

Hi there,

My best advice would be to do whatever course you're most interested in as you'll be studying it for 3-4 years and will possibly be working in that field for 1-2 years before doing the postgrad. UL are always changing their requirements but for the past two years they gave preference to people who had achieved first class honors and 2.1s in Their undergraduate degrees rather than giving preference for relevant degrees (that's the way it used to be). So really some students on the course have had really random undergraduate courses and still got a place.

Having said that, the most common undergraduate courses would probably have been nursing, psychology and linguistics. Each of these are going to be really useful when on the course and will help you lots.
    I'd imagine that they would be really impressed and interested in psychiatric nursing as the whole area of mental health is very up and coming in speech and language therapy.

I'd still really recommend doing whatever course you're most interested in and then if you have time while at college try getting relevant work experience whether it's volunteer work or employment, if you can't while at college then just start getting it straight after finishing as that's a really important factor in getting on the course too.

Good luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sixth6year

Quibbler wrote: »
    Hi there,

My best advice would be to do whatever course you're most interested in as you'll be studying it for 3-4 years and will possibly be working in that field for 1-2 years before doing the postgrad. UL are always changing their requirements but for the past two years they gave preference to people who had achieved first class honors and 2.1s in Their undergraduate degrees rather than giving preference for relevant degrees (that's the way it used to be). So really some students on the course have had really random undergraduate courses and still got a place.

Having said that, the most common undergraduate courses would probably have been nursing, psychology and linguistics. Each of these are going to be really useful when on the course and will help you lots.
    I'd imagine that they would be really impressed and interested in psychiatric nursing as the whole area of mental health is very up and coming in speech and language therapy.

I'd still really recommend doing whatever course you're most interested in and then if you have time while at college try getting relevant work experience whether it's volunteer work or employment, if you can't while at college then just start getting it straight after finishing as that's a really important factor in getting on the course too.

Good luck with it all!

That's great:) Thanks so much for the reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Quibbler

sixth6year wrote: »
    That's great:) Thanks so much for the reply:)

No problem, if you've any other queries let me know! I've finished the course :-)

Advertisement