Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to London at 25 weeks... Crazy?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was thinking of booking a break for myself and my husband for February. We were only planning to go as far as London. The week I was planning to go, I will be 25 weeks. I've never been pregnant before so don't really know what to expect. I've been keeping really well so far, no sickness or anything but I'm only 12 weeks so things could obviously change!

I understand that I won't be as fit for for walking as usual, so was looking to book a hotel very close to a tube. Aer Lingus would allow me to fly up to 32 weeks and my travel insurance would cover me up to 26 weeks so I'd be ok on that score. I'm just wondering is it crazy to book a break for 25 weeks, will I be too uncomfortable to enjoy it? I wanted to book in the next week as the hotel I'm interested in has a sale that ends Nov 29th. Thanks for your opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

The only problem is say with London is, if you are doing sightseeing you will be doing a lot of walking! We went last year for a few days and my legs were so sore by the end if each day! We did all the sights London eye, Madame Tussaud, shopping etc and it was brill kbut exhausting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks for the reply Sarah! We've been to London before, so would be happy just to 'mooch' around rather than whizzing around trying to see everything. And I was thinking of going for 6 nights so we would have lots of time and could just take done chill out days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You should be fine but do get the OK from your GP/hospital before you go.

I went on a weekend to Manchester at 32 weeks pregnant on my second and had a fab time :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

AT 25 weeks you will be fine:) enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

25 weeks?? You'll be fine. Slap bang in the good bit of pregnancy. Do it all now - you'd be kicking yourself this time next year otherwise - call it your babymoon! Last holiday before bubba. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! Will book it this week so. Wasn't sure how long that nice period of pregnancy lasted. As they say, it'll never be as easy to travel with your baby again! So definitely want one last easy holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

IMO that's the best time to travel- not too sick or tired or big. I wouldn't worry about the travel aspect- I emigrated to New Zealand at around 25 weeks and I was grand on the plane. One thing that might be an issue is the tube- my SIL mentioned that people weren't particularly considerate of her when she was pregnant. She got one of these badges- you could get one sent to a friends place or hotel.
    lu-baby-on-board-badge.jpg
    Baby on board badges
    Top of page
    Pregnant women can wear a 'Baby on board' badge to let other passengers know they may need a seat.

These are available from Tube station ticket offices. If you live in Greater London or south east England, you can also request a badge through our Customer Service Centre, by emailing your full name and address to babyonboard@tfl.gov.uk or by calling 0343 222 1234.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

You couldn't have paid me to go to london at 25 weeks, I never reached that "lovely" pregnancy period. I had to do a couple of road trips around that time and they were not pleasant. Had to pull over a number of times to get sick and was very hormonal. Wasn't much for the people I was with either! I know a couple of women who didn't have great 2nd trimester either.

Everyone's pregnancy is different so only you will know on the day if you up for it. As long as you won't be too disappointed/ out of pocket if it doesn't go ahead than book it.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    IMO that's the best time to travel- not too sick or tired or big. I wouldn't worry about the travel aspect- I emigrated to New Zealand at around 25 weeks and I was grand on the plane. One thing that might be an issue is the tube- my SIL mentioned that people weren't particularly considerate of her when she was pregnant. She got one of these badges- you could get one sent to a friends place or hotel.
    [img][/img]http://bumpino.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/lu-baby-on-board-badge.jpg
    Baby on board badges
    Top of page
    Pregnant women can wear a 'Baby on board' badge to let other passengers know they may need a seat.

These are available from Tube station ticket offices. If you live in Greater London or south east England, you can also request a badge through our Customer Service Centre, by emailing your full name and address to babyonboard@tfl.gov.uk or by calling 0343 222 1234.
    Thanks Rosey! I have heard the tube is pretty brutal for pregnant women. Don't know if I'd have the nerve to wear the sticker though!

I think we will make an effort to travel at less busy times. That's the beauty of having 6 nights, we won't be under pressure to cram loads in.
    Sweet_pea wrote: »
    You couldn't have paid me to go to london at 25 weeks, I never reached that "lovely" pregnancy period. I had to do a couple of road trips around that time and they were not pleasant. Had to pull over a number of times to get sick and was very hormonal. Wasn't much for the people I was with either! I know a couple of women who didn't have great 2nd trimester either.

Everyone's pregnancy is different so only you will know on the day if you up for it. As long as you won't be too disappointed/ out of pocket if it doesn't go ahead than book it.
    Thanks Sweet Pea, I've kept pretty well so far, no morning sickness whatsoever! I know that all could change, so I have travel insurance and an understanding GP, so I know they would do me up a letter if I wasn't fit to travel for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi all, I was thinking of booking a break for myself and my husband for February. We were only planning to go as far as London. The week I was planning to go, I will be 25 weeks. I've never been pregnant before so don't really know what to expect. I've been keeping really well so far, no sickness or anything but I'm only 12 weeks so things could obviously change!

I understand that I won't be as fit for for walking as usual, so was looking to book a hotel very close to a tube. Aer Lingus would allow me to fly up to 32 weeks and my travel insurance would cover me up to 26 weeks so I'd be ok on that score. I'm just wondering is it crazy to book a break for 25 weeks, will I be too uncomfortable to enjoy it? I wanted to book in the next week as the hotel I'm interested in has a sale that ends Nov 29th. Thanks for your opinions!

I would definitely say its fine! We went to Portugal when I was 25 weeks and I know there wasnt so much sightseeing but it was very hot and I was a little concerned but it was 100% fine and for me - the 2nd trimester was great as a whole for doing things. I wasnt too massive and still had energy but the nausea of the 1st trimester had cleared.

• Advertisement
Advertisement