Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Business

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Register a business name or set up a company, register with Revenue and off you go!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fpllad

What about start your own business scheme, i.e. getting funding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/setting_up_a_business_in_ireland.html

This will give you the basic infomation to start on the process and help you identify what you need to know/learn, assuming you have a viable business idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

My 2c.....Avoid the shop part and focus on networking, support, cloud or business consultancy etc, retail, especially IT retail sucks and the margins are terrible. You'll need to move a lot of stock to make anything worthwhile and you're up against some serious competition both online and offline. Much easier and more profitable to just stick with business to business services etc and maybe sell some hardware/software along the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

pclancy wrote: »
    My 2c.....Avoid the shop part and focus on networking, support, cloud or business consultancy etc, retail, especially IT retail sucks and the margins are terrible. You'll need to move a lot of stock to make anything worthwhile and you're up against some serious competition both online and offline. Much easier and more profitable to just stick with business to business services etc and maybe sell some hardware/software along the way.

Completely agree. I notice that Athlone itself is completely saturated with such businesses. I too would now tend to focus on mid to upper end clients for the purpose of offering IT Solutions and Consultancy. Would be an idea to partner up with someone in the same boat.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you could attend a course to get yourself started?
    http://www.wexfordceb.ie/start-your-own-business/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

As with others I would focus on B2B there are so many new technologies out there for gathering analytics that larger companies could benefit from that they just aren't aware of.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

jimmii wrote: »
    As with others I would focus on B2B there are so many new technologies out there for gathering analytics that larger companies could benefit from that they just aren't aware of.

That in itself is a very good idea. I developed Software for a Company previously that offered analytics to Energy trading Companies across Europe. You'd need an area of expertise or something you could pick up easily and offer a Solution that makes life easier for business within the target industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Itzy wrote: »
    That in itself is a very good idea. I developed Software for a Company previously that offered analytics to Energy trading Companies across Europe. You'd need an area of expertise or something you could pick up easily and offer a Solution that makes life easier for business within the target industry.

Yeh absolutely a friend of mine set up my system I have a Cisco owned company AP and it churns out an insane amount of data and I have it linked to another companies WiFi app so that if customers wants to access the wireless connection all they do is check in on Facebook (you can change it to pretty much anything to get access) and they are on it works really well. Add Vend (or similar) as an option and you have a great package to be able to offer B2B and B2C companies.

Advertisement