Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fecking micro and nano sim cards

Options
  • 19-11-2013 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Could somebody please explain what is the point of these ? It's a pain in the hole if you buy somebody an new phone as a Christmas present that requires one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As phones get smaller and smaller so have sim cards.

If they have a regular or micro and you need a nano, or they have a regular and you need a micro you can just cut their sim on the day.. Just buy an adapter to use to trace out the shape and a fine tip cd marker + scissors. Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It's the third and fourth generation sim card. They keep getting smaller.

Standard Sim Card (credit card size) - 1st gen
    Mini Sim Card - 2nd gen
    Micro Sim Card - 3rd gen
    Nano Sim Card - 4th gen

Some phones such as the latest iPhones use the Nano while other new phones like the Nexus 5 still use the Micro sim card.

I'd love to see a system where we login to a phone number removing the need for a sim card completely. We do it for emails, internet domains, online banking and loads of other secure things already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ED E wrote: »
    As phones get smaller and smaller so have sim cards.

Except the phones are getting bigger!

While I except some phones are slimmer and packed with tech I can't believe they can't find space for a something you don't need tweezers to handle. They are too small now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Apple in particular seems to have it in for the SIM card. They were trying to build the SIM card into the iPhone as an unremovable device but the GSM Association and some EU bodies prevented it happening as the iPhone wouldn't have been acceptable as a GSM device in that configuration.

They claimed it was all about size and weight, but I think it had more to do with locking down the phone to one network. American views of network portability are quite different to European ones in many respects as they have networks without SIMs on CDMA and some networks that basically will not let you bring your own handset onto their service at all.

Advertisement