Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Player Board Games

Options
  • 19-11-2013 3:58pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at getting a 2 player board game for myself and the OH for Christmas. From boardgamegeek I've gotten Carcassonne and Netrunner as two options.

What others could people suggest? (other players would be limited so I'm looking for something that works well with just 2 players)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Smallworld Underground has two double sided boards, for 2, 3, 4 and 5 players, so is quite flexible.
    We quite enjoy the Dexter boardgame too, but it can be a bit slow with just two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

Claustrophobia*
    Lord of the Rings LCG*
    Legends of Andor (coop)
    Star Wars LCG
    Race for the Galaxy
    Eclipse (yes, it is actually pretty good for 2 players)
    Twilight Struggle
    Euphrates and Tigris*
    Mr. Jack Pocket
    Castles of Burgundy*
    Ora et Labora*
    Memoir '44
    Pandemic*
    Puerto Rico*
    Age of Empire 3* (surprisingly good for 2 players)
    Dominion*
    Dragonheart* (wife's favorite)
    Hive
    Zombicide
    DC Comics Deck Building Game (wife's second choice)

* wife/girlfriend would play or should I say: there is a chance she will like it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

You could check out Twilight Struggle. Its the no 1 boardgame on boardgamegeek and is for two players.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle

Also you could check out Rahdo runs through on youtube.He mainly reviews boardgames that he plays as 2 player with his wife. His reviews/playthroughs will give you a good idea , if the games will suit you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Agricola works well as a 2 player game. The other half is a big fan of it.

Puerto Rico also works as 2 player (The designer has released an official rules varient, you can probably find it in the downloads section of the geek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pandemic. As it's a co-op there will be fewer hard feelings when you lose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Also you could check out Rahdo runs through on youtube.He mainly reviews boardgames that he plays as 2 player with his wife. His reviews/playthroughs will give you a good idea , if the games will suit you or not.

This is great thanks. I've watched the Netrunner one now and it looks good.

I'll check out a few more of the suggestions here and see if he's done them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ended up getting Netrunner and Pandemic. Both good games but Netrunner seems to have more depth (from initial evaluation). I expect Pandemic would be better with 4 players so we might try to rope another 2 people into playing with us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 poolcues

Well known board games are Chess, Backgammon and Solitaire. Some games that families can enjoy together include The Game of Life, Clue, Monopoly, Scene It etc. In a two player board game, you can each challenge each other to a game like checkers, chess, backgammon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

You could check out Twilight Struggle. Its the no 1 boardgame on boardgamegeek and is for two players.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12333/twilight-struggle

My personal favourite 2 player game.

Advertisement