Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for video editing. Advice, please?

Options
  • 19-11-2013 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

My Dell laptop has finally died after many happy years and so I am looking around for a replacement.

My knowledge is quite limited I'm afraid but I have done a little research before I posted.

The laptop will be used mainly for web browsing but I also do a little bit of video editing and transfer from tape to dvd. I would like to have the ms office programmes available and am not sure what is the most cost effective way to do that. My budget is about 600 - 700 euro.

My bit of research indicates (I think) that I would be best to get an I7 processor and a good bit of RAM. Not sure that is possible on my budget though. : ( I have a 1 tb ext hard drive already so space for saving files isnt an issue but would appreciate any or all advice on this matter also. I would need a dvd burner too.

Mobility is not a huge issue and also I would like a 15 " or bigger screen for the video editing. A one year warranty would be ok I think and I currently use Windows.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I appreciate your time.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi mac

similar position myself I was looking at the following

for laptops at the moment
    ram 4-8gb
    disk size 500Gig to 1 tb
    there appears to be a couple of different processors

komplette had a Sony VAIO F15 for for 699
    harvey norman had a hp pavillion with 1tb disk and 8 gig ram for 549 but it is bright red the normally colored version is €50 dearer also it has no dedicated graphics ram so that might be a problem for video.

Dell have a couple of nice ones in that range
    there is also a coupon available on the dell site for 7% off laptops

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 fits the bill perfectly. It's at the top end of your budget but it's a pretty slick laptop.

I was never big fan of Lenovo until I got one for work. The one I have I don't really like the design but as a laptop it's excellent. I have it for over 2 years now and never had any problems with it.

The one in the link there is pretty slick. Ticks all the boxes regarding your requirements (Good processor, good graphics card & plenty of RAM).

Dell is also very good if you're buying top end machine. I've had a middle range Dell and it wasn't very good but the XPS is excellent (bought for 1100 euro a year ago).

If I was in a market for Laptop for around 700 euro I would definitely be going for that Lenovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mac36

Hi Sheesh and but43r. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I will start googling your suggestions now. Much appreciated.

Mac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mac36

Can anyone offer any opinions on the Dell Inspiron 15e se with an i7 processor?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mac

Advertisement