Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Angler - Ceasing Publication

Options
  • 19-11-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Taken From their Facebook

"It is with great sadness that I have to announce that Irish Angler magazine is ceasing publication with immediate effect. There will be no more issues. Falling sales and advertising revenues have brought us to the point where we cannot sustain the publication. Thanks to all of you who have supported us over the past years. The Facebook page will continue for the foreseeable future, but if you want to get your hands on a collector's item you'd better buy the November issue which is still in the shops because there won't be another one!"

I for 1 bought it most months if not all. I liked the idea of local stories. Sad oul news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thats a great pity.

I bought the father a 12 month subscription for Christmas last year. As you said, it was great having local stories.

I used to buy trout and salmon regularly until Irish Angler came about. It had a bit of everything and I knew a few lads who submitted articles from time to time.

Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

They had a reasonable format and content wasn't bad at times but with so many decent blogs for general reading and forums for specifics on the net I can see why people wouldn't buy it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Unfortunately the market in Ireland is too small for a high-quality glossy magazine like IA, there simply aren't enough anglers here who would buy it. A massive pity, since now we just have the Digest, which IMO is a poor effort, and has far too many pics of dead fish. I counted 119 dead fish in the first 12 pages a few years ago. There were some excellent contributors to Irish Angler whose articles and tips will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

It is a shame, but i do think the anglers digest is an ok magazine..

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Zzippy wrote: »
    Unfortunately the market in Ireland is too small for a high-quality glossy magazine like IA, there simply aren't enough anglers here who would buy it. A massive pity, since now we just have the Digest, which IMO is a poor effort, and has far too many pics of dead fish. I counted 119 dead fish in the first 12 pages a few years ago. There were some excellent contributors to Irish Angler whose articles and tips will be missed.

Maybe the market is small, but if you know where to look online there is far better information than what's in any magazine, good forums, blogs, YouTube, Facebook etc etc it's free the mags are too expensive especially when the same or better info is free, just the way things are going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

To be honest it was an ok read but i prefer "trout and salmon".

Still sad to see an irish publication failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

i stopped buying it a while ago it was thee same as all the fishing magazines really. full of pretty pictures and nice stories about a guy's day fishing but when you read them there was very little information that you could use to go and target the species mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

i stopped buying it a while ago it was thee same as all the fishing magazines really. full of pretty pictures and nice stories about a guy's day fishing but when you read them there was very little information that you could use to go and target the species mentioned.

I would agree with you there about it just talking about peoples days fishing, but some of the trout publications i.e. T&S , trout fisherman etc.. Are quite informative with fly patterns, techniques etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

I would agree with you there about it just talking about peoples days fishing, but some of the trout publications i.e. T&S , trout fisherman etc.. Are quite informative with fly patterns, techniques etc.

trout and salmon do have some excellent articles with useful information. but there is still plenty of times a headline on the front cover about fishing corrib or some other place that has caught my eye, when you actually read the article there is nothing useful in it, just a well told story.

Advertisement