Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI Handshake issue on Blu-ray!

• 19-11-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I'm surprised to see no threads here which deal with what appears to be a very common international problem. Maybe a lot of Home Entertainment users here don't find it a bother but I certainly do. Basically what happens is that the picture goes blank for a split second and returns during the playback of a Blu-Ray.

I have tried 2 different types of HDMI cable but have found vague information that the type of HDMI cable doesnt solve the problem despite all the marketing gimmicks that say otherwise.

I ended up bring back my Blu-Ray player to the store because of the problem which is a waste of time for me and I'm sure just a minor inconvenience but inconvenience all the same to the multi-billion euro corporations manufacturing and selling shoddy products that do this.

I want to get a Panasonic DMPBD79EBK player now but I loath the day I might have to bring that back too if this problem reoccurs.

If anybody has encountered this problem and knows a genuine way around it, it would be most helpful and appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭andy1249

door wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see no threads here which deal with what appears to be a very common international problem. Maybe a lot of Home Entertainment users here don't find it a bother but I certainly do. Basically what happens is that the picture goes blank for a split second and returns during the playback of a Blu-Ray.

I have tried 2 different types of HDMI cable but have found vague information that the type of HDMI cable doesnt solve the problem despite all the marketing gimmicks that say otherwise.

I ended up bring back my Blu-Ray player to the store because of the problem which is a waste of time for me and I'm sure just a minor inconvenience but inconvenience all the same to the multi-billion euro corporations manufacturing and selling shoddy products that do this.

I want to get a Panasonic DMPBD79EBK player now but I loath the day I might have to bring that back too if this problem reoccurs.

If anybody has encountered this problem and knows a genuine way around it, it would be most helpful and appreciated.

The issue you are describing shouldnt happen , and has never happened to me on any of the many players I have owned , nor has it happened to anyone I know.

Behaviour like that is a fault , and is not the norm as you seem to be suggesting.

What model of player did you have the issue with ?
    Was it connected up via an AV receiver or HDMI switching devices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Hi Andy, thanks for your response. The Blu-Ray player was an LGBP120. It was connected to my TV with a single HDMI cable and nothing else.

This video by somebody else on youtube shows the problem for them, as it happened for me. The error, as he states, happens at the 34 sec. mark. The picture goes blank for a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBZO3ElYzY

This problem seems to be quite common from what I see from other forums but there apparently is no conclusive solution. The source of the problem is the HDCP part of the Cable for copy protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭andy1249

door wrote: »
    Hi Andy, thanks for your response. The Blu-Ray player was an LGBP120. It was connected to my TV with a single HDMI cable and nothing else.

This video by somebody else on youtube shows the problem for them, as it happened for me. The error, as he states, happens at the 34 sec. mark. The picture goes blank for a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBZO3ElYzY

This problem seems to be quite common from what I see from other forums but there apparently is no conclusive solution. The source of the problem is the HDCP part of the Cable for copy protection.

There is no " HDCP " part of the cable , the cable is just 19 wires , some of which are in twisted pairs.

No amount of cable changing will solve an issue like this , its got nothing to do with the cable. Cables provide an electrical link , thats it , they do not have version numbers , they do not support features.
    I know many cable sellers will tell you different , they are lying for profit , full stop.

HDCP is encryption and copy protection implemented in software and firmware , so any issue like the one described is almost certainly down to corrupted or buggy firmware.
    That is not the norm for the vast majority of players.

You should beware of drawing conclusions from searching for specific problems on the net.

If you search for them you will find them , but you should realise that no one posts about their gear when it all works fine , so the view gets heavily skewed by the very small percentage of people having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Hi again

I am not 100% on the correct way to put it but what I mean to say is that the HDCP being signaled through the HDMI cable is responsible for this error. (Maybe that isn't the right way to put it either but I hope you get what I mean)

It certainly appears nobody on boards.ie has encountered the problem, even though I am able to find elsewhere people who do. I do find it strange though that the "handshake" problem has never been brought up here. It is stated on many websites how HDMI has had many flaws and this is considered one of the main ones.

Nonetheless, seeing that you mention you know nobody with this problem, I am starting to wonder if it is because I have a TV which is probably considered old (despite supporting HDMI) and that the bit rate is too slow to keep up with a HDMI connection from a blu-ray player.

For your own information, this website gives a very good run down of the problem. I am just hoping to find somebody in Ireland who has had it to find some help from. http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi_handshake_troubleshooting_guidelines.php

Advertisement