Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Gas Fire With Insert Stove, Possible? With Pics

Options
  • 19-11-2013 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

We're moving into a new house that has a new gas fire built in:

35bfk8k.jpg

Ideally I'd like to replace it with an insert wood burning stove such as this one:

http://www.kal-fire.com/en/range/closed-wood-fire/heat-pure/details/heat-pure-60

Here's a diagram of it: http://www.kal-fire.com/img/fireplace_assets/heat-pure/HEAT-PURE-60/tekening/HEAT-PURE-60-en.pdf

Would this be possible to do?

What do I need to check to see if this would be possible?

PS while I'd much prefer the appearance of a wood burning stove, how is the cost of running it going to compare to a new gas fire? I'd imagine the gas fire is probably decent in terms of efficiency (though not as good as the gas boiler) but how would it stack up in comparison to the stove? It's more going to be used for appearance than practical heating purposes, but if the stove with wood was cheaper we could always use that more.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

blobert wrote: »
    It's more going to be used for appearance than practical heating purposes,

If that's the priority i'd just stay with the gas fire.
    Have to say we changed from a gas fire to a stove beacuse there was feck all heat from the gas fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

If that's the priority i'd just stay with the gas fire.
    Have to say we changed from a gas fire to a stove beacuse there was feck all heat from the gas fire.

Thanks for the reply. I'd definitely prefer the appearance of the stove but the costs involved are a factor, ie if an efficient wood burning stove is a cheaper source of heat than the gas central heating we'd use that more.

Advertisement