Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more Pints

Options
  • 19-11-2013 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed all the glasses getting smaller where you live?

First they dropped pints to 440ml and now they've snuck in 425ml in most of the bars in New Plymouth. And they've gotten more expensive at the same time, paid $9 for one the other day, that's €7.40 equivalent for a pint :eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I don't think I ever got pints over there. Always seemed like a tumbler to me, roughly 440ml or so. Sneaky if they're down to 425 though thats just stingy!! The Kiwi way I suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Just been here a month but I've noticed the lack of pints around but $9 is more like €5.40, not crazy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NZ has not has Imperial pints for as long as I can remember. A while ago, some of the Irish pubs started serving what they called the "Irish pint", but I'm not aware that it caught on widely.

Some places may well be shrinking the glass size .. and there's not rules governing this except supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Some places may well be shrinking the glass size .. and there's not rules governing this except supply and demand.

it's not supply and demand, it pure profit taking and it's sly. price has gone up and size down :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

it's not supply and demand, it pure profit taking and it's sly. price has gone up and size down :mad:

So you tell them "bring back the old size glasses, or we'll quit drinking here".

The shrinking glass may be as much about public health as anything: a way to cut down the amount of alcohol that is consumed in a sitting. For all you know, the local HPO may have asked for it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement