Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice restaurants in Ballsbridge area

Options
  • 18-11-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,
    myself and my boyfriend are heading up to Dublin on Saturday staying overnight in a Ballsbridge hotel as we are attending the rugby match on Sunday. anyway we hav never stayed overnight in dublin before and I am looking for recommendations for nice restaurants in the ballsbridge area. Somewhere nice, good food but good value for money too.
    Early bird option preferable.
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Henwin wrote: »
    Hey everyone,
    myself and my boyfriend are heading up to Dublin on Saturday staying overnight in a Ballsbridge hotel as we are attending the rugby match on Sunday. anyway we hav never stayed overnight in dublin before and I am looking for recommendations for nice restaurants in the ballsbridge area. Somewhere nice, good food but good value for money too.
    Early bird option preferable.
    Thanks for any advice.

The obvious choice is Rolys however might be fully booked and might be over budget. Food is delicious.
    Roast restaurant is another choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

cheers, we have a car so cud try somewhere in donneybrook etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

There is a new Marco Pierre White restaurant in Donnybrook. Haven't been but the one in town is fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

I had a very ice dinner in a Thai? restaurant beside Paddy Cullen's pub, but I can't recall the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cml387 wrote: »
    I had a very ice dinner in a Thai? restaurant beside Paddy Cullen's pub, but I can't recall the name.

Baan Thai, it's above the shop beside Paddy Cullens. Can be a bit cramped with tables close to each other - it's obviously the same since I was last there as it's mentioned by recent reviewers on Tripadvisor but I never had a problem with the food.

http://www.baanthai.ie/ballsbridge/about_baanthai.php
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186605-d785562-Reviews-Baan_Thai_Ballsbridge-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

poisonated wrote: »
    There is a new Marco Pierre White restaurant in Donnybrook. Haven't been but the one in town is fairly good.

I'd second that, I was in the one in town a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

cml387 wrote: »
    That's Baan Thai. It used to be excellent a few years ago. But they seem to have either changed chef or management, as on my last visit the food was different, very bland and tasteless. Would also agree with Roly's being over-rated.

OP perhaps Marco Pierre White's new restaurant or The Lobster Pot above Kielys in Donnybrook would be worth trying. A pleasant 15 walk from Ballsbridge, cheap taxi back afterwards. If you want to go a little further, there's an abundance of choice in Ranelagh and it should be a little quieter after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I suspect if you bought tickets to the New Zealand game, Rolys or MPW might be off the agenda, in which case Al Boschetto is a very nice mid-range place, casual and good value, get a table at the back near the Beattys Avenue door and its very cosy, youll have no problem booking one with a few hours notice. Its at the end of the row of pubs and shops looking across at the Herbert Park hotel..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Rock lobster or mulberry gardens in Donnybrook (very different but both good), which is a 15 minute walk through herbert park. no point taking the car unless it's bucketting down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I would try Juniors down on Bath Avenue. Small, quirky, not too expensive and lovely food.

Very close to you too,

• Advertisement

..... or The Lobster Pot above Kielys in Donnybrook would be worth trying. A pleasant 15 walk from Ballsbridge, cheap taxi back afterwards.

I think you mean Rock Lobster which is above Kielys. The Lobster Pot is an upstairs joint near Roly's, the waiters are a bunch of old geezers who's service philosophy might be a bit too offhand for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

coylemj wrote: »
    I think you mean Rock Lobster which is above Kielys. The Lobster Pot is an upstairs joint near Roly's, the waiters are a bunch of old geezers who's service philosophy might be a bit too offhand for some people.
    Ah yes sorry, I meant the former not the latter. Quite a difference between the two ;)

thanks everyone for all the replies, i''l check them out for availability.
    ya somewhere that is not highly priced/ michellin star price as we are on a very tight budget. poor kerry farmers:)
    Anyway we are staying at the herbert park hotel and we dont mind a 15/20 minute walk.
    Mulberry gardens seems nice as the roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I went to Marcel's on St. Mary's Road last week and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It was fairly reasonably priced as well. It's newly opened and is a sister restaurant of the highly rated Green Hen in the City Centre. Irish Times review http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/restaurant/marcel-s-hey-good-looking-in-dublin-4-1.1533462

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

thanks everyone for all the replies, i''l check them out for availability.
    ya somewhere that is not highly priced/ michellin star price as we are on a very tight budget. poor kerry farmers:)
    Anyway we are staying at the herbert park hotel and we dont mind a 15/20 minute walk.
    Mulberry gardens seems nice as the roast.

so where did you end up going???

I decided on O' Connells in Donneybrook, lovely restaurant, really nice food. i had goats chhese and beetroot for starter. for mains I had grilled hake. then for dessert you hav a choice of 2 mini pots. i had pear and almond pudding and chocolate pudding. really scrumey.
    It was quite busy even though we were there for 5.30. After that we went down to RTE for the Saturday nite show- really enjoyable.
    The Herbert park hotel is fab, lovely area around Ballsbridge. On Sunday then went to the match, wat an experience, ill never forget it, such a pity we lost.

Anyway I had a great weekend and will definetly return to the big shmoke :D

I decided on O' Connells in Donneybrook, lovely restaurant, really nice food.

Glad you had a good meal. For those who are interested, that's the old Madigan's pub premises on the corner of Belmont Ave. and Morehampton Road.

I've had a couple of nice lunches there, it's worth a visit though they don't do lunch on Mondays.

http://www.oconnellsdonnybrook.com/
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186605-d696306-Reviews-O_Connells_in_Donnybrook-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

bit late now but Asador in the "baggot village" In Ballsbridge is very good.

Also the Argentinian place next door to the 51 pub.

Advertisement