Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive Effect of Songs from Musicals

Options
  • 18-11-2013 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

I thought about where the appropriate forum for this thread may be, and went with here as it may be of most interest. This is a great article about a study which found that regular singing of songs from major musicals improves the mental performance of those in the moderate to severe stage of alzheimer's disease.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/11/alzheimers-patients-brains-boosted-sound-music-singing

I myself am doing some work with recovering stroke patients at the moment, though far less intensive; one 90 min session a week. It has turned into back to back classics from musicals, and they just love them so much. I am also so enjoying playing and singing these songs, the structures and harmonic content of which are unrivalled today in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

sadie06 wrote: »
    I thought about where the appropriate forum for this thread may be, and went with here as it may be of most interest. This is a great article about a study which found that regular singing of songs from major musicals improves the mental performance of those in the moderate to severe stage of alzheimer's disease.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/nov/11/alzheimers-patients-brains-boosted-sound-music-singing

I myself am doing some work with recovering stroke patients at the moment, though far less intensive; one 90 min session a week. It has turned into back to back classics from musicals, and they just love them so much. I am also so enjoying playing and singing these songs, the structures and harmonic content of which are unrivalled today in my opinion.

Surely any kind of singing would do the job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I imagine the association with a much loved musical would make a difference though. :) Songs from the Sound of Music and other musicals I really enjoy have a positive association that perhaps non musical numbers may not have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Surely any kind of singing would do the job.

I'm sure it would, but musicals seem particularly suited to facilitating group singing for that age group, and they conjure up all sorts of memories and associations. It ties in to reminiscence therapy.

Advertisement