Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bell's Palsy

Options
  • 18-11-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

I was diagnosed with this last Saturday. I am on a course of steroids now and I would like to hear of other people's experiences. I am seeing a physiotherapist on Friday and I was wondering if this is okay? I was in such a panic on Saturday that I forgot to ask the A&E doctor but he did mention physiotherapy at some stage.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No medical advice as per forum charter, feel free to discuss Bells palsy but do not ask for or give advice if replying

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Brother developed Bells Palsy a few years ago. Probably viral. Woke up one morning went to the bathroom to get a drink of water, water came spilling out the side of his mouth.
    He was great entertainment around the dinner table. Lasted 2 weeks I think. He didnt get physio. Ask your doc if youre unsure, as the mod says-no advice here im afraid!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I had Bell's Palsy earlier this year, so you have my sympathies. The first thing my doctor told me is that nearly all cases clear up by themselves within 3 weeks, so try not to panic too much about it. I'm glad to say that mine cleared up within that time frame, except for some issues with my taste buds that lasted a little longer (for example, water tasted acrid every time I drank it). He also told me that the only real medical treatment these days is the course of steroids you're on. he said that in the past anti-virals were also prescribed as a matter of course, but that it's no longer believed that viruses are the cause of most occurrences. The other course of treatment is physiotherapy, so you've no problems there. I had a very mild dose, so I was told I needn't bother with physio unless the condition persisted, but as I understand it you're just given a series of facial muscle exercises. It certainly can't hurt to go to the physio anyway.

The one thing I really hated about Bell's was having to tape my eye shut every night to make sure it didn't dry out, as this can cause proteins to build up in the eye. Also make sure you regularly use any drops you were prescribed for the same reason. I had a problem keeping the eye taped shut, but I found that there are eye-patch plasters you can buy. The only downside was that they're very sticky and taking one off each morning started to remove a layer of skin on my cheekbone after a week or so, so I'd suggest only using them as a last resort.

Hopefully it'll clear up for you soon and you can get back to not dribbling all over yourself. :)

Advertisement