Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My welfare was cut

Options
  • 18-11-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭

Hi I am currently on Jobseekers allowance and was recieving €188 per week. I recently moved into a house with a friend and this week I've only recieved €131.

I've been down to the social welfare office and was told to come back in the morning but as far as she could see this is all I was entitled to as the person I am living with is working part time and claiming for the other days.

I have no relationship with the person I am living with and our finances are completely separate. I was never even told my payment would be cut not even as much as a letter.

I've no idea what I'm going to do now as I didn't have a spare penny to myself as it was on €188. I'm at a loss - Is my only option to move back home to my parents?

I find it ridiculous that when living at home with my parents with no bills rent or anything I am entitled to €188 but now that I have my own home to look after and bills to pay my payment is cut by €50??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

why did you tell them you were moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Looks like they are trying to make out you are co habiting. They may ask for supporting evidence that you are single.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

badker wrote: »
    why did you tell them you were moving?

Because I have to.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Looks like they are trying to make out you are co habiting. They may ask for supporting evidence that you are single.

This is what I thought, I told them we were not in a relationship when I moved house and they never asked for any evidence that we were not. She is in a relationship of her own.

How can we prove this? I can't live on such little money and the fact they are taking it off me wrongly makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

As far as I know at least in my similar case, when it's all sorted they'll back pay you what you were docked. I know it's not great as it's needed now but it's something.

As far as I know at least in my similar case, when it's all sorted they'll back pay you what you were docked. I know it's not great as it's needed now but it's something.

Hi tom have you been in my position before? How did you get it sorted?

Good to hear you at least got your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

In my situation myself and a friend moved out. And it was fine for a couple weeks, then after my change of address form went through my payment was cut. We were listed as co habiting when we weren't. It took about 2 weeks to sort. I went into my local exchange and they made a appointment for me 2 days later. Went in was asked some general questions about living arrangements, they also said they'd contact my room mate but never did. Was pretty straight forward, wouldn't of minded it not happening or being dealt with a bit quicker, but I've had worse experiences with them.

In my situation myself and a friend moved out. And it was fine for a couple weeks, then after my change of address form went through my payment was cut. We were listed as co habiting when we weren't. It took about 2 weeks to sort. I went into my local exchange and they made a appointment for me 2 days later. Went in was asked some general questions about living arrangements, they also said they'd contact my room mate but never did. Was pretty straight forward, wouldn't of minded it not happening or being dealt with a bit quicker, but I've had worse experiences with them.

That's made me feel a bit better about the whole situation thanks. Shouldn't be too hard to prove in my case seen as she is in a relationship and I also have a child with her sister. (This is how we became friends, I'm still very close with the whole family)

I know they have asked for copies or car insurance forms to see if there are any named drivers. Any type of proof that you are single will help.

This is still ongoing and I still haven't got my money back. The inspector has been up to the house before Christmas and still haven't heard nothing. Lost count of how many times I've been to the office over this, Just fobbed off every time saying there's nothing I can do till the inspectors finished with my case.

I'm getting really pissed off over this lately I'm behind on all of my bills and barely keeping up with rent and all for no reason at all. I'm doing nothing wrong.

Is there anything I can do at all to speed this up or advice I can get from anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This is still ongoing and I still haven't got my money back. The inspector has been up to the house before Christmas and still haven't heard nothing. Lost count of how many times I've been to the office over this, Just fobbed off every time saying there's nothing I can do till the inspectors finished with my case.

I'm getting really pissed off over this lately I'm behind on all of my bills and barely keeping up with rent and all for no reason at all. I'm doing nothing wrong.

Is there anything I can do at all to speed this up or advice I can get from anywhere?

Go and see your local TD...

• Advertisement

Go to your cwo fit supplement ry welfare ever week while you are waiting for a decision.

They should pay toy the difference between your current payment and the supplement ry amount, this usually gets things moving.

The fact you are surviving on the smaller payment isn't looking too good, they may feel you do have another income.

All back pay is checked to make sure you were never overpaid and owe anything to the sw, this may be delaying your money also.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Go to your cwo fit supplement ry welfare ever week while you are waiting for a decision.

They should pay toy the difference between your current payment and the supplement ry amount, this usually gets things moving.

The fact you are surviving on the smaller payment isn't looking too good, they may feel you do have another income.

All back pay is checked to make sure you were never overpaid and owe anything to the sw, this may be delaying your money also.

I've been to the CWO and they can't do anything because I am in receipt of a payment. They said they can only help if I'm not getting any money.

Re the bit in bold, I'm not surviving I'm behind on all my bills haven't done shopping in 4 weeks and literally have no money to spend after rent and bills.

I've never been overpaid either and don't owe any money.. It's a joke at this stage it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I've been to the CWO and they can't do anything because I am in receipt of a payment. They said they can only help if I'm not getting any money.

Re the bit in bold, I'm not surviving I'm behind on all my bills haven't done shopping in 4 weeks and literally have no money to spend after rent and bills.

I've never been overpaid either and don't owe any money.. It's a joke at this stage it really is.

Like I say...
    Go and see your local TD...

Sorry to hear that, bar a formal complaint to the dole office, TD seems to be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jack7

yes, I agree, go to your local TD, they can ring for you and help to get it sorted, its a crazy situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Could you request a means test?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Could you request a means test?
    Yes,if you notify the dept that your circumstances have changed and you wish to have your means adjusted.

mp22 wrote: »
    Yes,if you notify the dept that your circumstances have changed and you wish to have your means adjusted.

How will this play out for me? If I do this will I still be entitled to the back pay because tbh I'm really depending on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

How are you paying rent?
    Is it cash or is declared income for your "landlord"?
    If it is cash then the problem may stem from here, SW wouldn't expect a partner to pay rent.
    If its declared income for your landlord then you are entitled to rent allowance.
    I have a feeling you have not told SW you are paying rent hence your problem.

Well some good news today went down to see if anyone could tell me anything and was told my money would be in the post office on monday for me.

So happy days, Thanks everyone for the help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement