Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Play Has No Negative Impact on Kids, UK Study Finds

Options
  • 18-11-2013 1:21pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a read here.

Initial findings suggest zero connection between computer game use and "behavioural problems" in children which is reassuring :)

I've not had a chance to read through the full report, but I've fired a copy into my Dropbox so I can have some light reading in bed at home.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can't wait the media to show this study the next time someone blames violent acts on video games...oh wait, that'll never, ever happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Byron review a few years ago carried out by the UK government showed the exact same thing and was the most extensive piece of research carried out on the subject.

Of course the Daily Mail like to forget it exists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

We all know studies like these have no chance against the lead-strong arguments of: "As a mother...." :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Duggy747 wrote: »
    We all know studies like these have no chance against the lead-strong arguments of: "As a mother...." :pac:

Yes, but we can now counter it with "well, that may be your opinion as a mother of *your* obviously behaviourally disturbed children - have you had them tested to see if they're on the autistic spectrum or that they don't suffer from ADHD cause science proves that the games didn't do it."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You could nearly plop gaming into the same category as cannabis, people make uneducated and incorrect assumptions about the effect it can have and as a result refuse to listen to fact. Granted, i still wouldn't give cannabis to children, unless it was for medicinal purposes (Charlottes Web), but you get where i'm coming from.

Anyway, put this on the list of factual findings which you can throw at anti-gaming idiots and watch them ignore it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

thats because in the UK they don't have guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    thats because in the UK they don't have guns

so, guns are the problem!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

folan wrote: »
    so, guns are the problem!
    No; the problem are the morons allowed to buy them...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Who knew that access to guns was a significant part of the problem in gun related deaths! :D

Advertisement