Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top (insert number) worlds of this generation?

Options
  • 18-11-2013 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

As always these are subjective for example Falllout isn't on the list

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-3341-Top-10-Game-Worlds-of-the-Generation.html

I don't usually go for these lists but this one really got me thinking, over the last 7 year on xbox there have been many worlds I have immersed myself in for many hours.

Some or even many have been brief stays, and forgettable at that, but others have have truly left their mark on me , in that after experiencing them for the first time the bar is forever raised.

So what are folks "best" worlds of this gen?????

I'll list mine in order of randomness :D

Tamriel - Oblivion made me call in sick on a monday after getting it on a friday

The Wasteland - My jaw hit the floor after exiting the vault in fall out 3, I'd not played the previous games then and got it on impulse to this day it's in my top 3 gaming moments. Loved the world.

Pandora - Borderlands 1+2 well over 1000 hours in these enough said.

The west - red dead redemption, as the big western fan this was heaven for me.

Lordran - Dark Souls, got the game when it came out and took me 18 months to tak eit out of its wrapper ...... possibly my biggest regret of the current gen too was waiting to play this for so long :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Skyrim for me. Oblivion was pretty but I thought the cookie cutter dungeons, 4 bad voice actors and terrible script let it down. I couldnt buy into it. They really papered over all that with Skyrim. The dungeons didnt seem to be as samey, and there was none of the endless "halt criminal scum!" type stuff. I suppose the arrow/knee thing took on a life of its own, but it was more endearing than annoying. But that world itself is just so pretty and it really begs to be explored. I remember spending the initial hours with my jaw on the floor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,822 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Osu Tatake Ouendan.

A world where all of life's problems can be solved by three male cheerleaders is a world I want to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mass Effect Universe - Not ashamed to say that i would thoroughly enjoy a game based solely upon exploring the worlds and characters in this. I wouldn't even need action!

Rapture - Got pulled in by this one, the atmosphere was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- Mass Effect
    - Rapture
    - Wastelands
    - Oblivion
    - Batman Universe
    - L4D Series , I like how they tied it all in as a story with both games
    - Spore ......nahhh,,,,,just kidding

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mass Effect wins it for me. It's just a really well designed sci-fi universe, with some excellent characters and locations. Yes, there were plenty of problems over the course of the 3 games, but the universe was great. Would definitely like the prequel to be about the early exploration of the galaxy.

Skyrim would be a close 2nd though. Followed by Rapture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Metro 2033/Last Light are great. Whatever about shortcomings the games have, they have very well realised immersive worlds for sure.

Dishonored also is seriously well done in this regard, too. One really ought to play this game. At least twice. High Chaos and Low Chaos.

There are others that have been mentioned, like Rapture. Columbia is great too. As would be the Mass Effect universe. Particularly, say The Citadel.

I liked Deadly Premonition/Greenvale too. It set the mood for the setting very well, and was cool to just see people from the area go about their day to day lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Far Cry 3
    It was like being in Lost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Far Cry 3

Dont forget blooddragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Persona 3 & 4
    Yakuza series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Lordran. Nothing else comes close for me. You only need to look at the 3d model to see how insane it is in design. It's just wonderfully crafted. Also the atmosphere, monster design and lore are all of the same standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Far Cry 3

Except it was good. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Big Knox wrote: »
    Lordran. Nothing else comes close for me. You only need to look at the 3d model to see how insane it is in design. It's just wonderfully crafted. Also the atmosphere, monster design and lore are all of the same standard.

Am currently playing Dark Souls for the first time and agree 100%, the world is brilliantly designed. Every area that seems so far away early in the game is easily accessible through various shortcuts later one, backtracking is made easier and going to places to farm souls or various items is never too much of a chore the further you get. I'm about 3/4 of the way through I guess and Dark Souls 2 is a day one purchase, book the week off work game for me already.

Skyrim does look beautiful at times,and the music is brilliant. I just wish not every NPC looked identical, are there no fat people there? every race has the exact same body dimensions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I love what they came up with in the Mass Effect universe and am very keen to see more stuff from there.

I think The Elder Scrolls extended universe is also incredible, but the games don't always lend themselves to telling that world's story as well as they might.

I know it was a commercial "flop" but the world created for Kingdoms of Amalur had me drawn in from the moment I put eyes on it, even if I did cringe every time they said "Thoo-atha" instead of Tuatha (pronounced thoo-ha for those of you who don't speak Irish). It was put together by R.A. Salvatore who's written a whole heap of D&D Universe stuff.

The Borderlands universe hints at having so much more going on behind the scenes and off the planet Pandora yet they almost never go into it. The corporations and so on, whilst we've become very well acquainted with Handsome Jack and to a certain extent Mr Torgue, there's a lot more that could be expanded upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Los Santos & San Andreas were spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

As Lordran has been mentioned, I'll throw in Demon's Souls Boletaria. The lore of both games is great, the more you look for the more you find. The Boletarian Palace is amazing and so is the Tower of Latria. Along with 98% of the Mass Effect series you have my games of the generation. Turians, Krogan, Salarian, all awesome.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some calibrations to attend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd have to put Skyrim on the top of my list.

An an open world game, it's absolutely astounding and with a few mods it becomes absolutely breathtakingly amazing.

The dungeons are immersive, especially Blackwatch and Labrynthian which I lost hours in. If you disable fast travel, or at least use it in a very limited sense, the game is even better.

Unfortunately, as a game itself it wasn't the best. Story was meh, combat is meh and I'm fairly certain there was only like 7 voice actors for the whole thing.

The other would probably be Guild Wars 2. A fun game, amazing looks and the world felt deep and great to explore, especially the puzzles. Unfortunately, it was compared too, and openly challenged WoW and lost out.

Mass Effect would have to be on the list too. I'd play a more open game sequel in the future quite happily.

Advertisement