Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neodymium magnets

Options
  • 17-11-2013 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭

So we got some new badges at work for a fundraising campaign, funny that they came with these warnings, very long list! Hope no one you know has been a victim!
    5w9DdK_thumb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think when these warnings say "children", what they really mean is Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I read once that a guy was making a windmill alternator using these magnets, and his son tried to nick a few off his work bench. He grabbed one and stuck it in his pocket, then a few minutes later grabbed another and put it in the other pocket........

The post was on a RE forum and had pictures of the incident, which ended on the operating table after the firemen had finished their bit..

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

you can find Neodymium magnets inside hard drives. I have pinched my fingers a few times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

His fingers weren't the problem, he basically got a free vasectomy..

SB

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They're great. I know some researchers using them for energy harvesting. Put them in a device with springs and surrounded by a copper coil and you can generate a few micro volts from mechanical vibration. Enough to power a remote sensor where changingba battery is out of the question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement