Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird 90 Leaking oil. Pics enclosed.

Options
  • 17-11-2013 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey,
    Hoping someone here can help. My firebird 90 is leaking oil from the encircled piston/valve below. Its dripping slowly. Any ideas what might be wrong/what to do?
    Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

carlost wrote: »
    Hey,
    Hoping someone here can help. My firebird 90 is leaking oil from the encircled piston/valve below. Its dripping slowly. Any ideas what might be wrong/what to do?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Only a matter of replacing an o ring. A job for your service engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Replace. Replace and replace.
    That is a common part failure. I hear it can be repaired but most if not everyone just replaces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 carlost

Cheers guys. Might just look into replacing it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

davidoco wrote: »
    That is a common part failure. I hear it can be repaired but most if not everyone just replaces it.

I always repair them. They are too expensive to just replace them when a cheap seal repairs them like new.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

It is very common for the hydraulic jack to leak , and as said , it's so easy and cheap to repair them , I think I only ever replaced one , repaired the others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Circlips pliers & a new hydraulic jack washer (Part No. 3007132).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

davidoco wrote: »
    replace, replace my ass ! F that !

Replace washer not the hydraulic ram or in time of great fixes: replace burner + boiler.

Washer = €1-00

Up to your intelligent call on repair !

Is it a difficult job to repair it or should it be left to service engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

its not a difficult job when you open the circlip just be careful theres a spring behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Turn off oil, carefully remove small copper pipe attached to top of ram, remove Phillips screw and carefully remove ram (brass bushing behind screw)from burner, carefully squeeze circlip (heavy spring behind)and remove, place parts down in order of removal, remove ram shaft and take note of direction of seal on shaft, remove seal, fit new and rebuild and fit in reverse order.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

I love the internet and the guys who offer their knowledge on it. All the help is much appreciated guys. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Turn off oil, carefully remove small copper pipe attached to top of ram, remove Phillips screw and carefully remove ram (brass bushing behind screw)from burner, carefully squeeze circlip (heavy spring behind)and remove, place parts down in order of removal, remove ram shaft and take note of direction of seal on shaft, remove seal, fit new and rebuild and fit in reverse order.

Good luck!
    Hi Billy.
    I loved the "heavy spring" part !

Some job trying to find the bits that fly !!

Cheers for all the info guys. Got a replacement piece from a friend which is well enough because I had to replace the whole line attached to it as the nut at the top was stuck. All good now methinks

carlost wrote: »
    Cheers for all the info guys. Got a replacement piece from a friend which is well enough because I had to replace the whole line attached to it as the nut at the top was stuck. All good now methinks

Thanks for reporting back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 dek84

remove the ram and air shutter and plug pump common occurrence with these burners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

dek84 wrote: »
    remove the ram and air shutter and plug pump common occurrence with these burners...

Do that & you will lose a lot of boiler efficiency. That is what the air flap is for!

Dek84 Hope he hasn't been waiting since November for a solution :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

dek84 wrote: »

You don't happen to supply and fit circulating pumps for €50 do you. :rolleyes:

Advertisement