Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formica faced Ply

Options
  • 17-11-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing a project to replace a folding work top on a boat.
    The work top is 20mm thick, made of plywood with a wood effect Formica top and bottom, i.e. Double-faced.
    The plywood in the middle of the sandwich has rotted and needs to be replaced. Is this material available off the shelf or do I need to buy a sheet of 16 or 18mm ply and stick on a Formica veneer?
    Also, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the stuff?

Thanks...

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Don't think you'll get laminated sheet like that off the shelf to be honest. Noyeks should have both plywood and laminate and you can bond it yourself handily enough . You'll presumably Need 18mm marine ply for a boat and a cheap balancer laminate for the back to stop it warping.
    Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing a project to replace a folding work top on a boat.
    The work top is 20mm thick, made of plywood with a wood effect Formica top and bottom, i.e. Double-faced.
    The plywood in the middle of the sandwich has rotted and needs to be replaced. Is this material available off the shelf or do I need to buy a sheet of 16 or 18mm ply and stick on a Formica veneer?
    Also, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the stuff?

Thanks...

D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Donie you could also stain the plywood to match what you have then give it a few coats of epoxy this will leave it well sealed and after a bit of fine sanding it will feel the same as formica, you can also get a mahogany veneered plywood that would look great but it's not cheep :eek: http://www.wallerwickham.ie/csd/marine_plywood.php

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    Check out builders suppliers for one of the following products, I reckon this would solve your problem.
    BFORM MDO 2440 X 1220 X 18MM
    XTRAFORM 2440 X 1220 X 18MM
    WISAFORM MDO 2440 X 1220 X 18MM
    POURFORM 2440 X 1220 X 18MM
    These sheets are used for formwork outside door use shuttering etc.
    NW

Advertisement