Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaking WALRUS boost pump?

Options
  • 17-11-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I have a Walrus boost pump and there is water leaking from it

I'm guessing there's a standard mechanical seal at the back of the impeller but before I go ripping it apart to change it does anyone know what size seal it is?

What size is the shaft?

I have a good selection of seals available at work (for various water pumps, just not for plumbing applications) and I'd like to be sure I have the right one.

Anyone done this job already?

Is it a straightforward job or an absolute dose?

Oh and what are the Walrus pumps like? Are they normally a decent pump? Is it even worth the hassle of ripping it apart or should I just fu(k it in a skip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Arent walrus the cheap b an q brand?

Could be a square type seal. Id be surprised if you have it

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

corkgsxr wrote: »

I'm not sure, a plumber supplied and fitted it when renovations were being done at the house a bit over a year ago.

I've no idea where he got it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pump101

Cerbera wrote: »
    I'm not sure, a plumber supplied and fitted it when renovations were being done at the house a bit over a year ago.

I've no idea where he got it from.

Walrus are not a cheap brand,they are an less expensive alternative than the over priced and prone to breaking Grundfos MQ. They are a great pump in my opinion. Nj power in Dublin are the authorised agents in Ireland and Derek the tech guy there will tell you what you need to know over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

corkgsxr wrote: »

Could be a square type seal. Id be surprised if you have it

I've fitted a few walrus pumps , actually very good pumps , never had an issue or a callback to them , so sorry OP can't help with your problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

It turns out that TQEES in Tipp are agents for them and I spoke to one of the lads there today and he reckons its a standard 12mm shaft seal that's in them.

I'll take the pump out and strip the head of it later this week and see how I get on.

What could possibly go wrong? :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement