Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Wireless issue

Options
  • 17-11-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My uncle was recently given a Dell Inspiron laptop, when he tried to connect to the internet via wireless at his home he gets an error that he is not connected to the internet, when he clicks on troubleshoot problem it comes up with a meesgae to say there was a problem with the wirless port and the issue has been resolved. Once this is completed the internet signal bars are full and no error icon but he still cannot connect to the internet, sometimes he can:confused:

I have just brought the laptop to my home and tried it with wired connection and worked no problem so i then decided try using the wireless, low and behold it works no problem, hence im typing this up now on the laptop :D

Im begiing to think it could be a problem with his internet provider and router, i have heard before that with his provider if there are too many items connected to it it can cause issues with connections. Reason i say this is because in all the times i was troubleshooting it an error regardng connection to DNS popped up once.

Any ideas on what it could be would be great, as i said bit weird that it is working no problem here in my home and i have turned it on and off several times just to make sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

Sounds like he is connecting wirelessly to the router ok but the router is not connecting to the internet.

Check the connections at the back, especially that the phone line/cable is connected properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I know it's obvious but just in case unplug the router and reconnect after 30 secs. See if you can check if other devices (phone etc.) are able to use the wifi. If not then it's nothing to do with the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Thanks guys, he said he restarted the router etc this morning and it looks like all is in order as the iphones and ipads are connected no problem.

Very strange to be honest, i will try agian when i go back up to him later

Advertisement