Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coppice experiment

Options
  • 17-11-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Last year I planted 1150 trees for a good friend with a view to firewood production through coppicing.
    Trees were
    400 birch
    100 ash
    400 sycamore
    250 alder
    These were planted in 2m wide rows at a spacing of .75m. They were planted in april into good sheltered fertile ground. The survival has been very good with only about 40 trees dead.

Sycamore are about 1-1.2m high
    Alder is .5-1m
    Ash is .7-1m
    Birch is .3-.7m

we think we might fit in 40 -50 sweet chesnut as replacement trees this winter for a bit of variety.

So what im wondering is
    Has anyone experience of cutting the trees in the first year to the ground (within 2 or 3 inches)
    Basically the theory is cut now and allow new shoots to increase competition and shade out grass

Iv read that alder might be best left til 6 or 8 years before initial coppice. My own small amount of experience with birch is it may not coppice well if cut so young.
    Im not as concerned about the sycamore or ash as I think they will throw out new shoots without a problem

Im not interested in opinions on willow as we already have the whole area planted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Last year I planted 1150 trees for a good friend with a view to firewood production through coppicing.
    Trees were
    400 birch
    100 ash
    400 sycamore
    250 alder
    These were planted in 2m wide rows at a spacing of .75m. They were planted in april into good sheltered fertile ground. The survival has been very good with only about 40 trees dead.

Sycamore are about 1-1.2m high
    Alder is .5-1m
    Ash is .7-1m
    Birch is .3-.7m

we think we might fit in 40 -50 sweet chesnut as replacement trees this winter for a bit of variety.

So what im wondering is
    Has anyone experience of cutting the trees in the first year to the ground (within 2 or 3 inches)
    Basically the theory is cut now and allow new shoots to increase competition and shade out grass

Iv read that alder might be best left til 6 or 8 years before initial coppice. My own small amount of experience with birch is it may not coppice well if cut so young.
    Im not as concerned about the sycamore or ash as I think they will throw out new shoots without a problem

Im not interested in opinions on willow as we already have the whole area planted.

We're doing a bit of ground at the rear of the house with willow.. Our ground isnt great and we found that coppicing at the end of the second year works better..
    We're working to create a wind break and screen off a "secret garden" at the rear of the plot... And of course at some stage harvest some wood for the stove... Although that's 10+ years away. Starting with much fewer plants.. Its working OK, but our high exposure and poor soil are a definite disadvantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Of the trees you mentioned, coppice nothing for a number of years. The trees need to make an extensive root system and develop a thick enough stem to produce the stem buds which will become shoots.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/publications.nsf/WebpubsbyISBN/085538591X

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Rin259.pdf/$file/Rin259.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Whatever you do make sure that there is no grass leaning on the young stems as if there is a heavy snow fall, the weight can then break the stems. I just walk around and stomp down the grass around each tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

l reckon after 11 years OP probably did. I suggest sending the OP a private message and hopefully they’ll see it in their email account.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They haven't posted anywhere on Boards in 11 years so unlikely they'll see that post.

Advertisement