Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17.5 or 20??

Options
  • 17-11-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I bought a trek 7.2 to cycle to work, to try get the fitness back up. I'm 5' 5" and I was told to get a 17.5in version with the saddle higher up.

My friend is looking to buy a bike now also, but she'll be buying outright.

She's looking at a trek 7.1. My friend is 5' 7" and has seen a 17.5inch second hand one in excellent nick and 150e less then if she bought it in a shop.

Her only concern is the size... how do you know if the size is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

One way is to stand over the bike as if going to ride it. Where does the crossbar touch in the crotch area? You want to be able to stand straight but have the crossbar close to your crotch but not pressing on it if you get me.

Check here:

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

From looking at the Trek geometry I reckon the 17.5 would be perfect for her and the 20 would be too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

hockeygirl wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I bought a trek 7.2 to cycle to work, to try get the fitness back up. I'm 5' 5" and I was told to get a 17.5in version with the saddle higher up.

My friend is looking to buy a bike now also, but she'll be buying outright.

She's looking at a trek 7.1. My friend is 5' 7" and has seen a 17.5inch second hand one in excellent nick and 150e less then if she bought it in a shop.

Her only concern is the size... how do you know if the size is right?

Any good bike shop will measure you up & advise on frame size. They will be able to explain you you exactly why they recommend one size rather than another. Different brands have different geometry so it may not be the same size in all bikes that fits you.

If your bike shop didn't measure & can't explain then go elsewhere.

Advertisement