Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Hate tattoo

Options
  • 17-11-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

An add for the DVD on RTE earlier tonight made me think of why the name for the series was chosen,I havent been reading this forum so sorry if this has been mooted already.In my youth (1980's) I used to notice 'hard men' sporting the letters l-o-v-e and h-a-t-e tattooed on the fingers of each hand-love on one hand and hate on the other-when playing pool in the pub.
    Is there a connection?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I was considering why it was named that the other day, and that's as good a reason as any I came up with. Not a fan of the programme, so maybe I'm missing something that'd tell me, but that sounds plausible.
    Off topic, but I once saw a fantastic version of that tattoo on an auld alco. On one hand, it read "Love" and on the other... "John".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Seen a guy with Peace/Love written on his fingers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The reason it is called Love/Hate is probably thematic. Each character has or has had loved ones he or she cares about and are often driven to hatred and revenge when harm befalls those they love.

Series one was all about Darren and perhaps the title was reflecting of Darren's inner struggles of both extreme love (for his brother RIP, his sister and his girlfriend) and hate (Hughie, John Boy, Stumpy). However, Nidge quickly took over as the main attraction and Fran is a close second. The love and hate in their lives of course follows suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Apparently the idea behind the tatoo initially came from a film called The Night of the Hunter 1955. It featured a "bad guy" with that tattoo which he explained in the film. Unsurprisingly it's a reference to the two ultimate competing forces in anyones heart or life. One generally wins out and dictates the course of that life. I'd image the name was for the TV series was inspired by the same notion. I'm sure it's love and hate in the larger more biblical sense, like good and bad, rather than relationship style love.

Theres a bit on imdb about the film here :
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048424/synopsis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I really like the show but it's an unforgivably bad title in fairness, never thought about the tattoo thing, makes it a bit better

• Advertisement
Advertisement