Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover Letter and Synopsis Advice

Options
  • 17-11-2013 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

My hardworking boyfriend is about to finish his epic over 170,000 word Novel (proud girlfriend beem :D). He's hoping to have it all edited and sorted by the end of the year :)

I'm helping him write his cover letter and synopsis for sending out to publishers, does anyone have any advice on writing these?

Not sure how to approach it. I heard that selling the writer is as important as selling the book, is that true?

Any advice will help!! Don't really know where to begin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Well, in my opinion which is based on experience - selling the writer is OK if the writer has been previously published, won a writing competition or if the writer has a significant link to what he/she is writing. For example, if I were ex KGB and writing a spy novel I'd definitely include this info in the bio part of my cover letter. The best piece of advice was from an agent who suggested that if you don't really have anything to put in a bio then make sure the synopsis/summary/description is as polished and enticing as possible. Regardless of everything else though, if his writing is stand out-amazing then an agent will go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Don't. Not yet.

For a start, a 170k word epic is not commercial. It has to be spectacular to get any publisher to even think about looking at it, and from the sound of what you've said, it's not even finished, never mind rewritten, edited or polished.

In general, any novel over 100k will be an auto-reject. An epic fantasy MIGHT get away with 120k, but definitely no longer than that. So he's got to cut at least 50k out of his book. Then he has to rewrite, edit, polish etc.

Allow at least a year for all that.

When he is finished all that, it's time to start querying publishers and agents. Never query without a complete, ready-to-go manuscript. What's he going to do if the agent says, "I love this story, I have a publisher looking for something like this" and it's not ready?

As an unknown author, your query sells the book, not the author. It doesn't matter how quirky or interesting a character your boyfriend is, if the book isn't amazing, no one cares.

A query letter should be one page long, single spaced, big margins.

Paragraph one says why you are approaching this particular agent, (no "Dear Agent, I found you in Y&A) and why you think you'd be a good fit.

Paragraph two deals with your book, length, genre, type, state of readiness, target audience, hook and central conflict.

Paragraph three is about the author, previous books or writing credentials and maybe a single line about how interesting or quirky he is.

Don't forget that a query letter is a business letter.

http://www.wattpad.com/162924-how-to-write-a-great-query-letter might be useful.

A synopsis is the entire plot of the book. It is written in present tense, without adjectives or adverbs. The names of characters are written in ALL CAPS the first time they are mentioned. It reveals the entire plot, including the ending. Ideally, it should be written in the style of the novel, but it's more important to make sure it's clear.

A synopsis is a marketing tool. It's not intended to be seen by the general public. Agents and publishers want to see what they are getting in the book.

If you like, he can send the synopsis to me and I'll rip it apart.

Advertisement