Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telescope for Beginner

Options
  • 16-11-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,
    Got my brother in law for kriskringle and I am tempted to get him a telescope. I know zero about them, only what I have read over the last few days. I am thinking something that he could observe relatively close planets, any passing satellites etc. He is a beginner , but a grown man of 38 years old so a kiddies one is not really any good for me! The budget is about €80 -€100 so unfortunately can't afford anything too radical. Is it even possible to get a decent one in this price bracket or am i as well to forget it and get him a jumper!:)

All help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

Not sure if these are any good but there are 2 types of telescope available on Groupon today:

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-markettown-99/29876189?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_322&a=1676

Choose from the following options for telescopes, distributed by Markettown.

€39.99 for Zennox Refractor Telescope (50x600mm) (71% off) In black or white
    €67.99 for Zennox Refractor Telescope (76x700mm) (77% off) In white

Zennox Refractor Telescope (50x600)

Solid refractor telescope with smooth-functioning mounts
    Adjustable aluminium tripod
    Aperture: 50mm
    Focal length: 600mm (f/12)
    Eyepiece: F6mm; H12.5mm
    Finder scope: 2x24

Zennox Reflector Telescope (76x700mm)

Solid reflector telescope with smooth-functioning mounts
    Aperture: 76mm
    Focal length: 700mm (f/9)
    Eyepiece: SR4; H12.5mm; H20mm
    Finder scope: 5 x 24
    Diagonal prisms: 90°
    3X Barlow
    1.5X Erector

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

LadyBetty wrote: »
    Not sure if these are any good but there are 2 types of telescope available on Groupon today:

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/gg-markettown-99/29876189?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_322&a=1676

Choose from the following options for telescopes, distributed by Markettown.

€39.99 for Zennox Refractor Telescope (50x600mm) (71% off) In black or white
    €67.99 for Zennox Refractor Telescope (76x700mm) (77% off) In white

Zennox Refractor Telescope (50x600)

Solid refractor telescope with smooth-functioning mounts
    Aperture: 50mm
    Focal length: 600mm (f/12)
    Eyepiece: F6mm; H12.5mm
    Finder scope: 2x24

Zennox Reflector Telescope (76x700mm)

Solid reflector telescope with smooth-functioning mounts
    Aperture: 76mm
    Focal length: 700mm (f/9)
    Eyepiece: SR4; H12.5mm; H20mm
    Finder scope: 5 x 24
    Diagonal prisms: 90°
    3X Barlow
    1.5X Erector

I Wouldn't want to recommend either of those to anyone, the solid in the description is very misleading

at worst I could imagine someone using the ota from the refractor and mounting it on another ota but that's about it. I wouldn't even put my camera on either of those mounts to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^
    This.

If you think he'll get into astronomy, then that budget would get him a nice pair of 10x50 binos and a copy of Patrick moore's 'exploring the night sky with binoculars'. If he has a budding interest, those scopes will most likely squash it. If he turns out to not really be interested in astronomy, a good pair of 10x50s can be used for lots of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

+1.
    Never heard of them. And in astronomy there are so many more manufacturers with good reputations out there.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Solid, adjustable and smooth-functioning advertised as 'features'? I'm a Meade man meself. On a Meade those would be a given. And on any other manufacturer I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭dinneenp

anyone able to recommend a 10 * 50 binoculars please?
    I've no idea about them.
    it's for my 6.5 year old daughter who would like a telescope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

endacl wrote: »
    ^^
    This.

If you think he'll get into astronomy, then that budget would get him a nice pair of 10x50 binos and a copy of Patrick moore's 'exploring the night sky with binoculars'. If he has a budding interest, those scopes will most likely squash it. If he turns out to not really be interested in astronomy, a good pair of 10x50s can be used for lots of other stuff.

how much would these cost for a decent pair?

Bob Z wrote: »
    how much would these cost for a decent pair?

If you catch LIDL in the right week, you'll pick up a perfectly serviceable pair of Bresser 10x50's for about €20. If they've no specials coming up, a similar pair should cost no more than €50 (the lidl deal is a good one!).

10x50's are a good introductory instrument. They're essentially two telescopes side by side. 10 refers to magnification. The eyepieces magnify an image by 10 times, while the 50 refers to aperture. Each objective (front) lens is 50mm in diameter. This is really the important number. For astronomy, aperture is king! The more light you can get in the objective, the stronger the image at the eyepiece. Plus, due to the short focal length, binos give a relatively wide field of view, which means that the bit of Sky you point them at will be recognizable as the bit of sky you were looking at with the naked eye. A great tool to start learning your way around. I've several telescopes, but still never leave the binoculars in the cupboard. For some things, like our impending cometary visitor, binoculars are brilliant for looking at things 'in context'.

dinneenp wrote: »
    anyone able to recommend a 10 * 50 binoculars please?
    I've no idea about them.
    it's for my 6.5 year old daughter who would like a telescope.

I'd add that for a small child, binoculars might be a little heavy to hold steady. Maybe add a cheap adaptor for a camera tripod? If your little 'un sees the right stuff at her age, she'll be hooked for life!

;)

• Advertisement

Actually, do keep your eye on the lidl website. IIRC, it's always approaching Xmas that they have their sky watching stuff in...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Better off putting a little more and getting a starter scope from Skywatcher (ST80) or Celestron

ZeRoY wrote: »
    Better off putting a little more and getting a starter scope from Skywatcher (ST80) or Celestron
    Why? Everybody I've ever met who has an interest began with an eyeball, moved to binos, than to scopes. Starting with a scope invariable leads to a steep learning curve. Try figuring an eq mount when you just want to 'see something'. Try figuring out if you're looking at what you think you're trying to look at, when you're not even sure what it is you're trying to look at? Binos wide FOV gives a context, and whets the appetite to see more.

No way. Binos first makes sense. Always has. Always will.

Plus. That Skywatcher is supplied as an OTA only. Are they supposed to balance it on their nose?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

If you really want to start off with a scope, I can recommend the Meade etx 70, it certainly kept me entertained over the years. A couple of them on sale on adverts for around 125.
    For information on the ETX, the site to go to is http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

dr ro wrote: »

I wouldn't bother with a lidl telescope at all, for anyone.

Those binoculars are 10-30x60, which are likely to be rather large and heavy for a 7 year old. Zoom is an unnecessary feature for astronomy, adds glass to the light path and complexity to focussing...

Simple 10x50s would be better.

I wouldn't bother with a lidl telescope at all, for anyone.

Those binoculars are 10-30x60, which are likely to be rather large and heavy for a 7 year old. Zoom is an unnecessary feature for astronomy, adds glass to the light path and complexity to focussing...

Simple 10x50s would be better.

That refractor is a bresser. Not a 'lidl' telescope. Very entry-level, and a bit limited at 70mm, but not a bad scope at all.

But yeah, 10x50s to start with. No polar mount on 10x50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

endacl wrote: »
    That refractor is a bresser. Not a 'lidl' telescope. Very entry-level, and a bit limited at 70mm, but not a bad scope at all.

Got the very scope as a free bee from one of the members in IFAS,had to pass to someone else as it was useless apart to look at the moon,couldn't even use as a guide scope...

Nerro wrote: »
    Got the very scope as a free bee from one of the members in IFAS,had to pass to someone else as it was useless apart to look at the moon,couldn't even use as a guide scope...

I picked one up a few years ago. Couldn't resist, at that price. Another way of looking at it is 'perfect for looking at the moon'. Which is probably what a child would want to use it for.

The point I made is that it's a well made cheap 'n' cheerful telescope by a reputable manufacturer. Not an *ahem* 'lidl' scope. There's nothing wrong with it, except that it's aperture is limited. I used mine a couple of times, realised that it wasn't of much use to me, and passed it on to a friend.

Advertisement