Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

Options
  • 16-11-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'll be undergoing cognitive behavioural therapy to treat social anxiety/ phobia.

I'm just wondering if anyone here can tell me exactly what that involves and what I can expect from it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Group or individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Group or individual?

Individual

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lifeonhold

Hi suas11, I done the group CBT in the matter in Dublin and one on one before that, Its great very interesting and you can learn alot from the experts only bummer is i have the matter done so cant do it again as their is a waiting list it was fun, daunting at first but that soon wore off and i looked forward to going every time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The first appointment is always an assessment, to find out exactly what the problems are, how they impact on you, how they might have arisen, how you are coping etc. It also gives you a chance to get to know the therapist.

The Sticky above gives you an idea of the kinds of things you should ask the therapist, or know about them.

This leaflet will also give you an idea.

Do try to ensure that your therapist has had proper training in CBT and hasn't just done a day or two of training. Unfortunately too many counsellors claim to be CBT therapists on the basis of ignorance (to extend them the benefit of doubt) and really know very little about it.

And here's the link to Social Anxiety Ireland, with information on the group treatment at the Mater Hospital in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 singsong321

I was in the same boat at the start of the year. Try to have a positive outlook and you will not look back! The first session will involve the therapist getting a background history ranging from issues with family, friends, relationships, illness etc. Then you will asked to explain the difficulties you are encountering. You may feel emotional at first, for many people it may be the first time they share their problems. The therapist will allow you to ask questions, and taking your issues into account will design a treatment plan. After this it's a case of following the plan and hardwork. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement