Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inset stove noisey

Options
  • 16-11-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

just installed an inset stove which starts making noise when fire is going-any ideas what might be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Is it boiler/non boiler, or where abouts is the noise comming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭johnjoe1966

Non. Boiler. Body of stove seems to be making the noise sounds like metal enclosure(steel outer caseing if that makes sense) into which the stove body fits. It seems like the enclosure expanding and contracting with the heat.
    GY A1 wrote: »
    Is it boiler/non boiler, or where abouts is the noise coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Non. Boiler. Body of stove seems to be making the noise sounds like metal enclosure(steel outer caseing if that makes sense) into which the stove body fits. It seems like the enclosure expanding and contracting with the heat.

Hi,
    I just got a Henley stove fitted last week and tonight its doing the same . Banging and clattering - metalic sounding.
    Did yours sort itself out ?
    Thanks.

Hi,
    I just got a Henley stove fitted last week and tonight its doing the same . Banging and clattering - metalic sounding.
    Thanks.

contacted henley and they suggested I fit some insulation around it-vermiculite or rockwool-which would stop outer casing expanding and contracting and making so much noise. Put as much vermiculite around the body as i could this evening, blazing fire and no noise-seems sorted. Much more heat as well. If they recommended this in the installation manual it would be nice!!! still need to sort riddle bar which just does not move as free as it should-i reckon this is a design flaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

cathalj wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks.

Cathal and Johnjoe how you finding the henley?

Folks got one and they reckon riddler does absolutely nothing??
    But that the noise stops after it gets hot

Also how you finding the air controls? They were trying to do overnight burning but reckon with both controls closed the fire just burns away as air comes in through 8 little holes where the fire brick meets the baffle.

Neighbours do overnight burning in their stand alone and I talked them into getting an insert as stand-alone was a lot of building work, so I am getting all the questions

Johnjoe, - thanks for the feedback, I did see the lads who installed it putting in rockwool somewhere, so hopefully it'll sort itself out.

Frankz - only have mine a week so haven't tried an overnight burn yet - im still only burning logs. Someone told me that "union nuggets" with all vents closed is the best bet for an overnight, though obviously can't confirm this.

As for the riddler - whats is supposed to be for ?
    I only use mine when im cleaning it out in tb morning, just to knock some of the ash into bottom tray - works fine for that, although I have to clean off excess with brush.
    Am I supposed to use it when fire is lit ?
    Cheers.

Frankz - I take it back, just cleaned it out and your folks are right - it really does f##k all !

Riddler that is !

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

cathalj wrote: »
    Frankz - I take it back, just cleaned it out and your folks are right - it really does f##k all !

Thanks Cathalj - saves me pretending I know what I am doing when I go to look at it!!

Is yours the apollo or the achill?

The lads one is the apollo 5kw.

If it suits sometime, and its the apollo, you might try close both air supplys when its hot and see does it continue to burn fuel.
    I had expected that it would shut down the fire but theirs burns away slowly and quietly even with new fuel.
    I got them a well respected installer so unlikely its fitted wrong - I hope!!!

• Advertisement

I think the riddler is supposed to be used to shake ash into the pan while fire is lit to improve airflow. Problem is that it does not move freely enough to do this (as compared to other stoves I have seen) . Otherwise stove is working fine

Is yours the apollo or the achill?

The lads one is the apollo 5kw.

Mines the achill , - I had a fair fire going the other night and I did close both vents down but it didn't dampen down the fire as much as I thought, even with them closed it was still flaming away as opposed to smouldering. Still only burning logs but very happy with the heat its throwing out. Still clanking & banging every night though until it settles in which is a bit annoying.

Advertisement