Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Application

Options
  • 16-11-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,
    I have a story that I'm exhausted of telling, in hopes of getting a helpful response, but I hope someone here can help. Maybe someone had or has to go through the same thing in regards to applying to the CAO. A lot of colleges/unis require that the applicant is 17 before the 15th January of that year.
    Back then, when I was smaller, I thought I was so lucky when moving to a new Primary School, I got put into 6th class when I should have been in 5th. Therefore I was always a year younger. And again now, due to an eager wish to move on, and also a horrible relationship with parents, I skipped Transition Year. That makes me two years younger than my classmates. And now I understand that most colleges I really, really want to apply for, I'm too young to do so. So if I put them on my CAO they'll just delete me, cause I don't meet the age requirement.
    Which brings me to the exception of that rule - you can write a letter to the President of the college/uni and the Dean of College pleading to be considered. So, I found out all the courses for which I'm too young, and I found the addresses of the presidents and deans I have to address...

Here comes the big question... *drums*
    How do I write such a formal letter? It's so so important that I've no idea what to say. I know I have to convince them that despite my age I can meet the entry requirements and the demands of the course. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just to clarify. Are you going to be 15 or 16 doing the Leaving Cert? The 17 in January I think applies to you turning 17 in the first year of college.

i.e. you must be 16 by the 15th January 2014 if you intend on starting college in Sept 14.

This is from UCD's admissions and from what i've seen they're all fairly similar
    Students must normally be seventeen years of age by
    15 January following entry: i.e. for entry in 2014, date
    of birth must be on or before 15 January 1998.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/admissions/er2014.pdf

So the question is: are you reading the requirements incorrectly? You are allowed start college at 16 once you turn 17 by January, midway through first year. Lots of students do the Leaving Cert at 16 and go on to college straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chrissy_Ivers

I will have had my 17th just before doing my Leaving Cert, but some places I'm applying for - NUIG, to be exact, state that one has to be 17 before 15th January. And even though my birthday is April 7, I must write a letter. My guidance counsellor said that my application will be automatically deleted in the CAO for the colleges where I don't meet the age requirement, unless I have beforehand written a letter to President and Dean, and they've agreed that I can try to apply. So, yeah...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I will have had my 17th just before doing my Leaving Cert, but some places I'm applying for - NUIG, to be exact, state that one has to be 17 before 15th January. And even though my birthday is April 7, I must write a letter. My guidance counsellor said that my application will be automatically deleted in the CAO for the colleges where I don't meet the age requirement, unless I have beforehand written a letter to President and Dean, and they've agreed that I can try to apply. So, yeah...

I'm pretty sure that rainbowtrout is right here, particularly as I know that my cousin entered NUIG having just turned 17. You must have turned 17 by the January of your first year, not before your LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

My little sisters are both 16 and doing their leaving cert, they turn 17 in May, just before they sit their leaving cert. They will be 17 for the first year of their course in college. I think you and your guidance counsellor are misreading the guidelines. My sisters are younger than you and neither of them have had any problems....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ya I think your guidance teacher has it wrong. I've never heard of students writing to college to get accepted at 16.

Once you are 17 in January of your first academic year in college you are fine. You will be 17 this April so you are fine.

I've just looked at the NUIG requirements webpage and it says 'provide evidence that you are 17 or will be within 3 months of October 15, ie by January 15 of first year.

You do not need to worry. You meet requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Chrissy_Ivers

Oh, thanks everyone. Must be the stress making me misread, and then the guidance counsellor completely scared me with things like taking a year off, or doing a PLC course. So, okay, thanks!! I've got 99 problems but CAO application ain't one, thankfully. :)

Advertisement