Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from Nexus S. Help!!

Options
  • 16-11-2013 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me how much of an upgrade a nexus 4 would be over my current nexus S.
    Its pretty slow these days. Dont think I can shell out for a nexus 5.
    What are the main benefits of the nexus 4 over the moto G?
    Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

After using a Nexus 4 for 11 months, one thing I've never ever found myself thinking was " this device is slow!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I had a Nexus S before "downgrading" to an iphone 5. Was a very slow phone and I myself am trying to get a Moto G. That price point is great and the performance would be great too I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kierancos

I'm in the exact same position, have the Nexus S for a while now, want to get a new one for xmas. Going to try get a Nexus 5 from US as I can't afford 350€ from UK play store. Would like to know if the Moto G would be much of an upgrade though, as Nexus 4's are cheapish atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

kierancos wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position, have the Nexus S for a while now, want to get a new one for xmas. Going to try get a Nexus 5 from US as I can't afford 350€ from UK play store. Would like to know if the Moto G would be much of an upgrade though, as Nexus 4's are cheapish atm.
    Be careful buying it from the US. Returns would be impossible as Google won't allow you to RMA to the UK. Also the LTE bands on the US version are not in line with the bands on the International version, which will work in Ireland.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Be careful buying it from the US. Returns would be impossible as Google won't allow you to RMA to the UK. Also the LTE bands on the US version are not in line with the bands on the International version, which will work in Ireland.

Yeah I heard about the 4G, but uncle is coming home for Xmas, and Nexus 5 in US is 260€ (350$) so its very tempting haha. Price is far too expensive from UK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

kierancos wrote: »
    Yeah I heard about the 4G, but uncle is coming home for Xmas, and Nexus 5 in US is 260€ (350$) so its very tempting haha. Price is far too expensive from UK!
    Depending on where he buys it, there could be a bit of tax on top of that. It will be cheaper all the same and as long as you're not pushed about LTE it is a great buy. If your uncle lives in the US, you can use his address for an RMA if it should ever come to that, so you could be okay on that front. You just need a US address and payment method for them to send you a replacement, because Google are awkward like that.

Anyways, I can't recommend the Nexus 4 enough to the OP. It's a great upgrade for the Nexus S. I had the Galaxy S before the Nexus 4, which is from the same generation and it's leaps ahead, I cannot stress it enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

If I could get a new Nexus 4 for cheap I would. Looking at that, a Moto G or a Sony Xperia SP.

Yeah I'm thinking about a Nexus 4 too, I really just want a good phone which has good support. There are still roms being made for the Nexus S and its nearly 3 years old.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Nexus 4 is way faster then the Nexus S.
    I would buy the Uk version as you are guaranteed that it will work.
    I am going for a Nexus 5 as my upgrade from the Nexus S.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

I see the moto g doesn't have a gyrometer. Will I miss anything by not having one any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'd be interested in that too actually.

The gyrometer is responsible for getting the phones orientation. So for example, it might be used in a car racing game so u can use the phone itself as a "steering wheel". Or something like Hungry Shark to move the shark. But I think the phone can use the Compass/Magnetometer as a backup, along with the Accelerometer.

Don't quote me on that though. It'd be pretty ****ty if you couldnt use this phone to play car games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I upgraded from the nexus s (given to my wife) to a nexus 4 several months back, it is a significant upgrade, it is however slowing down a little now, so I will have to give it a bit of a clear out and free up space. It's a great phone and now running kitkat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

All nexus devices seem to be performing somewhat slower under kitkat according to reports out over last few days.

MRTULES wrote: »
    I see the moto g doesn't have a gyrometer. Will I miss anything by not having one any more.

FYI, I tested my Moto G 16GB last night. I installed a game called Hungry Shark that uses the tilt/gyro to control the shark.

I couldn't tilt it to move so had to tap on the screen to move the shark. I'm guessing this means that car games are out of the question as well.

So that seems to be the only downside I've discovered so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

The_B_Man wrote: »
    FYI, I tested my Moto G 16GB last night. I installed a game called Hungry Shark that uses the tilt/gyro to control the shark.

I couldn't tilt it to move so had to tap on the screen to move the shark. I'm guessing this means that car games are out of the question as well.

Thanks for that. I play ingress a good bit but I don't think it needs it. I suppose its the kind of thing you don't miss til its gone.

Exactly!!
    And thats how I justify spending all the money on my HTC One, and over 1200 on my laptop etc... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

The_B_Man wrote: »

Werid real racing works perfect on mine, other peoples too, it must not use a gyro, i thought only one or two games on android actually use a gyro

Heres real racing on the moto G

This is the only gyro game i know of, tbh im gonna take an educated guess and say i think we are confusing sensors here but i dont know enough about the different sensor types to be sure

Advertisement