Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the leaders of charities deserve their wage packets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Take the recent disaster in the Phillipines or Syria. When something like that happens there is a lot of planning and organising to do in a short space of time. You need someone who knows what they are doing to mobilise the troops and ensure everything is running smoothly. If you don't have the right talent in place it will end up costing money, and the right talent require wages that reflect the responsibilities.

Also, these people are responsible for raising millions of euros. I mean, if you pay someone 50k and they raise €2m, or you can pay someone 100k and they raise €10m, then surely the higher paid person is much better value.

That being said, all that is great in theory, but I have no idea if that's how it works in practice. Here is an article defending the €234k salary earned by the CEO of Rehab. Their defence is that Rehab has a turnover of €200m and that CEOs of similar sized private companies can expect to earn in the millions - so in their opinion, €234k for Rehabs CEO works out as good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Take the recent disaster in the Phillipines or Syria. When something like that happens there is a lot of planning and organising to do in a short space of time. You need someone who knows what they are doing to mobilise the troops and ensure everything is running smoothly. If you don't have the right talent in place it will end up costing money, and the right talent require wages that reflect the responsibilities.

Also, these people are responsible for raising millions of euros. I mean, if you pay someone 50k and they raise €2m, or you can pay someone 100k and they raise €10m, then surely the higher paid person is much better value.

That being said, all that is great in theory, but I have no idea if that's how it works in practice. Here is an article defending the €234k salary earned by the CEO of Rehab. Their defence is that Rehab has a turnover of €200m and that CEOs of similar sized private companies can expect to earn in the millions - so in their opinion, €234k for Rehabs CEO works out as good value.
    I understand what you are saying. It still doesn't sit right with me - surely if someone was truly motivated to do this work, they could do it for "X" amount less and still carry out the same quality of work. In my opinion, the salary one gets does not necessarily reflect the quality of their work. Thanks for the link as well - it will be an interesting read, people will often try to defend themselves even when they are clearly in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Here's a link on the wage various charity CEOs earn as well as how efficient they are with their money as regards admin overheads:
    https://www.alzheimer.ie/Alzheimer/media/SiteMedia/ImageSlider/Fixed/Sun-Independent_1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

thehouses wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/bosses-of-14-charities-get-salaries-over-100k-29707277.html

What is the general justification used when they are asked about their wages? It does not seem right to me that they can earn so much. If I was in such a position I would gladly donate much of that money back to a charity.

Are there any charities which decided not to give such high wages?

Your right most do not deserve such high wages, would really make you think about donating! Wont be buying a rehab scratch card anytime soon :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

My attitude to wages is an honest days pay for an honest days work. Angela Kerins was earning close to 500k 2or 3 years ago according to a survey of charities by the Irish Examiner. No mortgage worries for her. She sits on boards of several organisations. As do many others. Management teams and directors are always handsomely rewarded. Do a bit of digging and the names that appear all sound familiar. We're a small nation and its the same faces that keep appearing. Mostly with political connections. Cute hoorism at its finest. I hate people who always get the thick end of the wedge. Just bcause you earn 200 k doesnt make you a genius. The proliferation of consultants needed in this country is proof of that. I swear sometimes living in this country would drive you demented seeing what goes on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement