Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple IP Cameras to wireless access point

Options
  • 16-11-2013 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all.

I install cameras for farmers in their sheds.
    Usually the setup is a 3G Dovado Tiny router with data sim card.
    These routers have 1 ethernet lan cable connection and 1 antenna.
    I usually connect a wireless IP camera to the router.
    I setup port forwarding in the router and get a dynamic ip address from no-ip.com.
    The farmer can then login to their camera from iphone, android etc.

Now here's my problem.

farmer wants 3 ip cameras in shed. Farmer also want's to access internet in the house. House to shed is 300m. Line of sight is good with no obstacles.
    3G reception is better in the house so dovado modem will be placed there.
    I was thinking of using a tp-link directional antenna to send the wifi up to the shed. The problem is that I will loose the antenna on the router if I screw the directional antenna wire into the back of the router. Farmer will then have no wifi in house ( I need a solution for this?????????)
    Also, I was going to place another tp-llink antenna on the shed to "receive" the wifi. What do I do from here????????

The wireless ip cameras may not work wirelessly as there is galvanise sheeting in various places and I may need go bring cat 5 cable from each camera back to the central point.
    I would intend allowing the customer access to the cameras via a dynamic dns or no-ip so each camera will have to be accessed over the system
    e.g.
    camera1.no-ip.biz
    camera2.no-ip.biz etc.....

I am new to this and thought my eureka moment was allowing someone to see their camera on their phone!
    I'm in over my head and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that people could make regarding what's the best hardware to use and how to set it up.
    Thanks in advance

Martin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

I'd change your usual setup, I'd put a 4 channel dvr into the shed, cable your cameras back to it.
    Use a pair on nanostation s to link the house to shed with the 3G router being in the house, the dvr and the 2 nano stations would be on the same address range as the router so on your firewall just open the ports pointing to the ip of the dvr.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Diarmuid_g

Hi dublinmanman.
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.
    I'm trying to do something similar for my brother, install an ip camera in his shed so he can watch when cows are calving. Here's my setup:

Foscam IP camera > TP-link router > Huawei 3g modem with Meteor broadband SIM.

I've set up an account with no-ip and the Foscam logs into no-ip without a hitch. I've set up port forwarding on the TP-Link for the camera but I can't view the camera from outside the network i.e. the internet. From what I'm reading on forums the mobile ISPs use NAT so you can't hit the router directly from the internet. How did you overcome this using the Dovado? What ISP are you using and are you using a standard broadband SIM?
    Any light you could shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Diarmuid.

Advertisement