Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden beam

Options
  • 15-11-2013 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Can anyone advise on where I might buy an 8" x 8" wooden beam, about 6' in length and in a hardwood, such as oak or mahogany? Would have to be new timber. No cracks or splits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi kungfu
    Try Abbey woods they might have what you want or maybe able to direct to someone who might be able to supply
    Dublin Cork Unit 22 unit 16/17 Baldoyle Industrial Estate Westlink Business Park Dublin 13 Old Mallow Road Phone : 018393435 Co. Cork Fax : 018325968 Phone : 0214211788 Email sales@abbeywoods.ie Fax : 0214211786

NW

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

8" x 8" I'd say you'd have to get that milled specially, would doubt Abbeywoods would have anything over 2.5" (3" if your lucky). You'll most likely have to go oak if you get something milled, and it will be green.
    If you can't find any, let me know and I'll PM you a number for a guy in Wicklow who could sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

Thanks for replies.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Kungfu wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on where I might buy an 8" x 8" wooden beam, about 6' in length and in a hardwood, such as oak or mahogany? Would have to be new timber. No cracks or splits.

You will certainly get 8 x 2" American oak in the big builders outlets. How about laminating four planed boards together. ? If you can clean it up by running it through a thicknesser you will hardly tell the difference from a solid beam.

recipio wrote: »
    You will certainly get 8 x 2" American oak in the big builders outlets. How about laminating four planed boards together. ? If you can clean it up by running it through a thicknesser you will hardly tell the difference from a solid beam.

What I have in mind is building a traditional kung fu training dummy, a jong. To be more precise, a Ching Jong. This is a piece of training apparatice used in Choy Lay Fut Kung fu, which differs greatly from the Mook Jong of Wing Chun Kung fu. The Mook Jong is also more widely available.

So ideally the main body of the Jong should be of one, solid piece of hardwood timber, such as oak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Kungfu wrote: »
    What I have in mind is building a traditional kung fu training dummy, a jong. To be more precise, a Ching Jong. This is a piece of training apparatice used in Choy Lay Fut Kung fu, which differs greatly from the Mook Jong of Wing Chun Kung fu. The Mook Jong is also more widely available.

So ideally the main body of the Jong should be of one, solid piece of hardwood timber, such as oak.

Eh.........what is the beam being used for ? I can assure you a glued, laminated beam will be just as strong as a solid beam ( oak would be a lot stronger than mahogany ) - unless you have some kind of philosophical objection. ? It would also weigh a few hundred pounds.

recipio wrote: »
    Eh.........what is the beam being used for ? I can assure you a glued, laminated beam will be just as strong as a solid beam ( oak would be a lot stronger than mahogany ) - unless you have some kind of philosophical objection. ? It would also weigh a few hundred pounds.

Ok. Sounds like an idea. I will take a look into that.

Thanks.

Advertisement